Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sue.armitage3@sky.com, Feb 10, 2012.

1. sue.armitage3@sky.com

sue.armitage3@sky.com PetForums Newbie

Hi i was on here for a while but haavnt been on here for ages my cat who is 4 long haired and very loved, he is a indoor cat doesnt go out as i lost my six year old to a RTA, he has lots of little lumps on his neck so I took him to the vet and he had a look and pulled one off with hair and put some liquid on it that turned red so he said he had fleas where from ive no idea because he doesnt go out of the house, so i got some flea treatment from the vets to put on his neck which i did and now he seems to have lots more scabs on his body that has spread is this normal:confused:

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

fleas can come in the house on you etc so it is possible. And yes where he scratches will end up little scabs. Hope he feels better soon.

3. sue.armitage3@sky.com

Hi thank you for replying, hes not actually scratching much and ive looked through his fur and i couldnt see any fleas, and ive not seen any in the house or been bitten so ime wondering if it is actually fleas he has poor little mite:confused:

4. sue.armitage3@sky.com

Hi thank you for replying, hes not actually scratching much and ive looked through his fur and i couldnt see any fleas, and ive not seen any in the house or been bitten so ime wondering if it is actually fleas he has poor little mite:confused:
    P.S. Am ii allowed to put a pic on here of him and if so how do i do it

5. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Sue I would be wary of using your email address as usernames on forums, there are nasty things out there which scour the Internet.

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Agree with Cookiemum re your username.

Could it be a flea allergy? If you don't think fleas are the problem now, yet the scabs continue to thrive, I would suggest you take your cat back to the vet to see what is going on.

7. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

We rescued (literally picked up off the road) a cat which turned out to have a flea allergy which was causing eczema and he was all covered in little scabs, flaky white skin and his fur was very thin. He had a beautiful coat when we got him sorted out, but it took a while for his coat and skin to improve even after we'd got rid of the fleas.

It's often difficult to find fleas on your cat, as they squirm out of the way and down towards the skin as you approach. Especially on a dark haired cat.

One good way to tell if your cat has fleas (vet demonstrated this to us once) is to take a piece of damp kitchen roll and wipe your cat with it, making sure you get down to some of the fur nearer the skin. Or comb your cat's fur through, them wipe the comb on damp kitchen roll. Examine the kitchen roll and if you see little specks of smeared red/brown on it, that's flea poo - made up of your animal's digested blood.

Don't know which flea treatment you were given, but the one my cats have (it's an injection) works by breaking the life cycle by making the fleas sterile. It doesn't actually kill the fleas on the cat's body, but when those fleas die off naturally there are no baby fleas to replace them, unless there is reinfestation from elsewhere - and again - once those new fleas bite they are made sterile too. It therefore takes a little while for all the living fleas to die off.

If you suspect another problem though you should go back to the vet, as skin conditions can be very uncomfortable.

dougal22 likes this.
  8. sue.armitage3@sky.com

Hi thank you for that i will try it and if it doesnt clear soon i will take him back to the vets

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice