Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Scruffy Alfa, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Scruffy Alfa

Scruffy Alfa PetForums Member

Our cat Katie is not weeing this morning, she is in and out of her litter tray every minute but not doing anything. I have a feeling this could be serious, any help or assistance please???? :confused:

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Could be a uti or worse blockage I would get her to the vets just in case :( hope its just an infection x

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Phone the vet now.

Could be a number of things from cystitis and it is too painful to pee to a blockage (rarer in female cats but no unheard of). Sometimes it is also constipation and not a weeing problem. All of which are painful, so get this sorted asap.

4. Scruffy Alfa

Thank you for your swift replies, I am phoning the vet as soon as they open.
    Got the cat carrier down which has worried Katie.
    Will let you know outcome.

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

When does your vet open?

6. Dally Banjo

Any news yet?

7. Scruffy Alfa

Sorry, just got in after a nightmare day at work. It never rains etc....

Got a 9.15 appointment and vet suspects cystisis and gave her a jab which relaxed her enough to have a wee so she is much better now.
    Katie had to to wee in some plastic balls and get a sample for vet to look for crystals which meant separating her from her brother for a few hours.

So several possible causes:
    Joey (her brother) has been a bit rough lately, it may be his newly found diet of locusts.
    The mrs has noticed that Katie has eaten all the heads off of her cyclamens which apprarently aren't good for the pussycats but they won't listen.
    A change in her food a few weeks ago from usual Kitecat to Cosma and dry biscuits. She is now on a more wet diet and lots of water to flush her through.

Then back to vets next week for check up and test results.
    All in all much better, thank you all for your quick replies and concerns. ;)

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Good to know that you have made the change to a wet diet; make it an all wet diet if you can; and even then I would be inclined to add a little more water. Remember though that the Cosma is not a complete food.

Hope your little mite feels loads better soon. Let us know whether they discover any crystals.

9. Scruffy Alfa

Thanks Hobbs, could I ask you what else would you suggest I supplement her diet with to make it a complete food?

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, a complete food she will eat! Sorry to be obvious. What other brands have you tried other than kitekat and the cosma? Have you ever tried her on pate food?

11. Dally Banjo

Glad it is just cystitis even though painful :( hopefully it was just the change in food & she will be good as new soon :D

Might be worth getting a Feliway plug in if you have'nt got one they help reduce stress just need one for humans to :rolleyes: :lol:

12. Scruffy Alfa

Sorry I thought that Cosma was a complete food but I don't know enough about cat food nutrition really. We have Katz and Vets Kitchen at the moment which she has been ok with but she is supposed to be off the dry food at the moment. Also tried most other supermarket wet food as well. Zooplus came yesterday (with a load of Cosma!) but we also have some Aminonda pate for her to try, but I will add water to her food. ;)

13. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

Many cyclamen plants contain cyclamine which is toxic to cats, I'd remove the plants to be on the safe side

14. Scruffy Alfa

Thanks Claire, I will put the cyclamen in the wifes office as he cats aren't allowed in there. Last night Katie destroyed a spider plant, is that a safe plant? I don't think she ate much as I've seen her before just biting the leaves off and watch them fall down to the floor, bless.

15. Scruffy Alfa

Katie does appear to be better btw, she has larger wees, we are wetting her food down and omitting the biscuits.
    The Vet spoke to the Mrs and said her wee sample (not the Mrs's) was very concentrated but she didn't mention any crystals. Guess will know more at the appointment next week.

16. Ian B

Ian B PetForums VIP

With apologies to the OP.

@papusona

Try superglue, it'll have the added bonus that it will stick your fingers together and stop you spamming forums with cr#p like that.

Ian

hobbs2004 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice