Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help :(

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by zoeeoo, May 18, 2010.

1. zoeeoo

zoeeoo PetForums Member

i got a jack russell x staff and she is getting better got her from a man at 4-6months old coz he didnt want her no longer from knowing nothing she knows sit and we make her work for treats and stuff we go on bike rides with her this is exercise to tirer her out coz she is FULL of energy well atm her recall is bad :( at some point we all need to put a little turst in ower dogs to know where we can or no trust them but she is always barking at people i stop and talk to some and correct her by saying no and pulling her lead to me but when she off lead she will run up to them and bark and when i call her no coming back and when i walk up to her she think its a game and run off and i get stress coz it can be dangours but im going to hold back no and keep her on the lead untill i can trust her again and know but what will help coz the puppy can be stubion sometimes they btoh can be and they know they names i got treats and they will lstion somtimes but i know i need to take them out on they own and train them on they own but i feel bad leaving one in the house. any tips.

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi there,hopefully others will come along and help you some more with the training side of things.Maybe you could try a long lead,so your pup cant run off,until you get its recall better.Also,as its still a pup,you could still enrol in puppy classes,it would be really worthwhile.If you have two dogs,its best to spend time training seperatley as well as walks out/training together.
    Well done for taking the pup on,hopefully with a bit of hard work in the early months/years you will have a wonderful best friend.

3. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

its perfectly acceptable to take one dog at a time out for training....as long as you spend equal amounts of time on both they should accept this as normal behaviour.

keep both dogs on a lead or training line until they have a better recall for their own sakes as much as yours. you MUST be able to get them to come back to you before allowing them to run free. they can get all the exercise they need on a training line so dont worry that they are missing out.

practise the recall in lots of places...in the home, in the garden, the more different places you practise the more they will realise that COME means,,,,i gotta go back to mom. have really high value treats like chopped liver, chopped chicken or small bits of smelly cheese to offer them when they do it right. make yourself more interesting that what they are looking at.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice