Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by becki8806, May 16, 2010.

1. becki8806

becki8806 PetForums Newbie

Dear all

I am hoping somebody may be able to help me.

My neutered female husky / lab aged 4 years, is having aggression issues with my other male dogs to the point that I now have to seperate them completely as she has hurt both males (thankfully not seriously).

I have been to the vets, she is in perfect health, I have also seen a behaviouralist who states that this is fear based aggression.

My problem is I have two young daughters ages 3 and 16months, and can't risk them getting hurt, so I have a dog who I love to bits and in every other way is a fantastic pet but I haven't got the time to give her the training she needs away from the other dogs.

I dont want her to be put down because this behaviour is not her fault, but on the other hand I don't know what to do with her.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Best wishes

Rebecca

2. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

this is a worrying situation as your children are so young. for your sake, the other dogs sakes, and definitely the safety of your children's sake, i would advise that the dog is either not allowed to interact with them until a solution is found or that she is muzzled so that she cant cause any further harm. it would be wrong to offer any training suggestions in such a tricky situation without knowing the full facts and seeing the interaction between the dogs first hand. i would recommend getting a behaviourist back in to help you and in the meantime muzzle the dog to keep everyone, human and canine, safe. in reality, if you cant find a behaviourist or solution to the problem then you should seriously consider rehoming her through a rescue organisation with the recommendation that she goes to a family where she is the only dog so that she can be retrained out of this behaviour.

sorry to be so blunt....my main concern is for the welfare of your children and also that of the dog who may end up being pts through no fault of her own if she cannot integrate properly in the pack of your household.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice