Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by vicsta, May 15, 2010.

1. vicsta

vicsta PetForums Newbie

can anyone help and advise me? i have 4 dogs, all female yorkie x chihuhuas and they are ruling me and my house. the eldest is almost 3 and the others are 1. they still arent toilet trained, ive been letting them out at regular times throughout the day and last thing at night, but they keep having accidents. quite often in the morning and when i go out anywhere there are patches where 1 has peed, and i cant properly tell the offender off without catching them in action. another problem is the barking if anyone comes round. ive got a corrector spray which i use but it doesnt seem to be helping at all? i walk them all separately aswell as if they all go together they all pull and yap going down the road. ive allowed them to all sleep on my bed aswell, which i need to stop too as there is no room for me anymore, but when i try to shut them in the lounge at night they all persistantly cry, bark and howl. any advise on how to properly train them would be very much appreciated, thank you :)

2. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Crate them. Also, buy a baby gate so that when you don't want them around, they have a safe area to go in.

It's hard with 4 dogs though. Are they neutured at all? I'm not sure without more info, and what you've tried.

Definately stop letting them in your room, and get a crate each for them, so that you can let them out separately during the night, for toiletting. Also, when you have guests arriving, crate them, and only let them out once they are calm, or keep them behind a baby gate, until they are calm, to try to stop the barking.

The spray doesn't really work, it just makes the dog scared of the spray.

3. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I would go back to basics and buy 4 little crates and crate them seperately at night and when you go out.

Look up threads on crate introducing, there are loads and start again with them as if they have just arrived with you!! ;)

It is hard as you have 4 but if you put in the hard work i am sure you will reap the benefits in the longrun.

Good luck. Keep us posted, we are all here to help supprt you, it will get worse before it gets better as they may challenge you taking control but persivere and be consistent!! :thumbup:

4. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Yep, this is what I would do as well. You need to make sure your house is thoroughly clean too, otherwise they will keep smelling the wee and will keep using your house as a toilet!

5. leashedForLife

hey, vic! :--)

let me gather together whats been said already -
    * confine the dogs at night -
    good idea, and Individual crates are an even-better idea :thumbup:
    that way U know who might be leaking.
    Crating Your Dog

* i would crate them in the bedroom - 4 small crates, 2 over + 2 under, take up little space.
    it reassures the dogs to have U visible + audible, AND - in case of an emergency - fire, power-failure, etc -
    U know precisely where they are ;) no hunting with a flash for ONE dog hiding somewhere... :eek6:

* airline-crates of the size for a small-to-medium cat should be plenty big-enuf.
    Dog Owner's Guide: Dog Crate Q & A's
    Airline Pet Crate Kennel Measurement Guide
    put the leashes on the crate-roofs so U know where they are, even in the dark.

no-one has yet suggested a full vet-work-up on all 4 dogs - with possibly a urine CULTURE for an occult infection.
    bitches are far-more prone to UTIs than are dogs; they can cause complete involuntary incontinence, urgency with just a few ounces
    of urine in the bladder, burning, itching, blood in the urine, etc. incontinent panties can solve the issue and narrow-down the candidates, if only one dog has a UTI.
    if only one dog has a damp-liner in the morning [with panties] or a wet-crate in the AM w/o panties, that narrows the field.
    marking individual panties to know who wears what, can also help. an initial on the inside-tag with laundry-proof marker
    will do the trick - think of it as camp-clothing for dog-children.

taking panties off each leashed-dog after exiting to potty, and checking / changing liners while they void,
    takes a matter of moments - once naked, each dog can run loose in the garden to potty.
    each dog gets her OWN panties back on before re-entering the house. ;)

all-cotton panties with fully-enclosed elastic are comfortable + will not chafe or cut (the pressed-vinyl estrus-belts with their sharp
    edges can slice skin like paper-cuts, and can cause rashes, skin-outbreaks, etc).

the panties can be lined with inexpensive peel-and-press liners, not deodorant or scented, just plain - changed when damp,
    or at minimum every 24-hours even if dry (to limit bacteria blooms). they attach with velcro on both sides, typically -
    be SURE to seal the velcro-strips and pin across them, before washing the panties - if they come undone,
    the velcro will get crammed with lint and become useless blobs.
    i would bet that the barking is a combo of excitement + anxiety - toy-dogs are easily intimidated by strange humans;
    a correction / aversive will not help calm an excitable dog or reassure a nervous dog, so i would not suggest
    a corrective / startling stimulus like a spray-can or spray-collar, throw-chains, water-balloons, or some other unpleasantry.

Terrierists are thin-skinned maniacs who yap at the drop of a hat, or a single footfall; Chis are highly-territorial and very verbal.

calmatives can be really helpful to both settling the dogs at night and reducing the barking -
    see this post for suggestions -
    Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - dog body-language - and why it matters so much...

working with EACH dog alone using click to calm or another book control unleashed
    U can reduce each dogs reactivity - then add each dog one at a time, to each other dog.
    some pairings may touch each other off, and require more work as a pair.
    eventually tho, U should be able to walk all 4 dogs as a group, without more than the odd yap or 6.

re barking at arrivals -
    Prevent Your Dog from Barking at the Front Door: Part 1: How to Train Your Dog | eHow.com
    i;d do this one dog at a time, and crate the others in the bedroom. ;) AND with calmatives on board - Rescue-Remedy, DAP and lavender! :D for all 4 dogs - the dog being re-trained and the *audience* trio, in their crates with the bedroom-door closed.

here is a thread with more about reactivity -
    reactive dogs: barking on-leash, lunge, bolt, snap, hide, etc - Pet Forums Community

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice