Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help Worried about my Boxer Sasha!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Striker73, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Striker73

Striker73 PetForums Newbie

Hi there I'm new to this forum i just joined today...so "Hello everyone" :D
    OK i have a Boxer girl she is 11 years old, she recently well about 7 Weeks ago had her 2 vaccinations as she missed her vacs last year, and the the vet told me she is a bit too over weight we knew this and i was already cutting her down, so we cut her treats out and we put her on the science plan diet and it worked she lost her weight and is now down to her ideal weight(although i don't like this she is too skinny for me her back end to the start of her ribs at the back look to withdrawn and thin) anyway she started drinking loads and loads of water so much that sometimes she would vomit water back up and it would have a bit of food in it sometimes. She started to wee allot more than she use to, i put this down to her old complete pedigree biscuits they where to dry or salty which made her more thirsty, i realized this and changed her diet, pedigree people had changed the food so that's when she went on the science plan diet, she still drank loads but not quite as much but still too much. So we took her to the pdsa and she was checked for cushins, had blood test, and even a ultrasound?..well a scan of her abdominal area,stomach etc and waited a few day and the vet came back and said nothing is wrong or out of place all tests are normal?!...this was a massive relief for us as she is our sweetheart!

So anyway back home she starts it all again drinking loads, being a little sick, lethargic and starts to lie down on the kitchen floor in a couple of usual spots more than she ever use to!...she seems depressed and underneath her jaw is always wet and damp and smelly, it was suggested that because she smells a little this is why she is depressed so we bathed her with dog shampoo, dried her etc and she looked and smelt wonderful, and when she scrounges food of me or tries :D she perks up and this makes me think there is nothing wrong with her? But not for long she soon slips back to her usual lethargic self, i mean she stands near her water bowl not knowing what to do whether or not to have a drink or not we feel so sorry for her when she does this.

Then she lies back down and it is very hard to move her and sometimes she trembles or shivers as if she is cold or frightened she is neither because she does it when she is asleep and awake outside or in? This worries us!
    She also can not walk far or as far as she use to and she can't jump on our bed anymore(yes we spoil her :D) so i thought could all of this be old age? but then i thought old age creeps up on dogs, this all has happened within the last 2 months to fast to be old age surly?

Please let me know if anyone else has had a dog that has acted similar or the same way as our Sasha has(that's her name!)
    Thanks for reading anyway....

2. Nicci

Nicci Guest

It may be worth getting her checked out for Dementia, you've described things in your post such as confusion with her water and what not which makes me kind of wonder whether she may be in the early stages of it?
    I had a Collie x Lab with dementia and it was terrible watching him, staring into space and doing odd things but on the plus side we were given medication for him to slow it all down so we could have him with us for a bit longer. xx
    I hope this helps :)

3. Striker73

Thank you x i will get her checked for it i suppose the pdsa will do it....what do they do, i mean how do they check for that?

4. Nicci

Nicci Guest

There are no tests for it as such but here's a link for you to help you decide whether or not she may have it, if you think she may have it is worth speaking to your vet to get her on some medication to help manage it for her :)

Doggy Alzheimer's Disease - Dogs

5. Striker73

Thanks again i have been looking at this page and i think i will talk to the vets about this.....xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice