Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with weight loss diet

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Paddypaws, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Dear PF members I really need some help from someone who likes crunching numbers and making calculations.
    Today I collected two 10 year old cats for surrender to charity. They have always lived indoors with an elderly owner but he went into care 4 months ago and the cats have been alone since then but being fed by relatives.
    They are both hugely obese, the girl is bigger than any cat I’ve ever seen. Their diet consisted of Go cat and tinned tuna.
    They will be weighed tomorrow and I can post the weights, but I then need help to calculate a food intake that will allow them to safely lose weight slowly.
    I advise ditching the dry if at all possible and we can provide Bozita cans right now, possibly other zooplus foods going forwards.

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Paddypaws
    Hi,
    I am no good at number crunching but I agree ditching the dry will go a long way. Is the Bozita pate, or chunks? I think chunks in gravy may be more carb heavy than pates on average.
    How are they taking to the new food so far?
    Maybe @chillminx can advise towards diet.

3. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Member

Hi Paddypaws,

I have a now 12 year old rescue who had put on a lot of weight, in fact the vet commented he couldn't examine him properly due to such a lot of fat over the stomach.

I'm sure weighing food must work, but I have to say when I tried the rationing route my cat seemed so miserable and constantly hungry, he also became constipated.

In the end I just gave up all the dry food (which he loves!) and now feed wet food only with no added cereals or sugar (so always in jelly rather than carb-y gravy). He free feeds so never goes hungry, but has lost almost all of the horrid stomach fat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice