Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with vetmedin

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rose, Mar 29, 2012.

1. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Hi. My almost 13 year old cav has been on fortekor for 5 years. She has just started coughing slightly :( The vet has given her vetmedin and frusemide. I lost her mum and sister with the same condition MVD so have been down this road before. The vetmedin has to be given 12 hours apart and 1 hour before food. My dogs are fed at about 6pm. So I should give the tablets at 5am and 5pm!! If I give the am tablet later their dinner will be about 8pm which is too late. Also as they dont have a meal in the morning, do I have to give her food an hour after her morning tablet? Or is that only if they usually have a meal? I will ring the vet tomorrow, just thought someone on here might know.

2. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Anyone?????

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Ive just looked up vetmedin on the Manufacturers leaflet and the 12 hours do seem to be the most important thing.
    Could you perhaps give the first tablet at 6am then the breakfast at 7am and
    then the next tablet at 6pm with the main meal at 7pm

This is the leaflet, double check but I cant actually see before food mentioned just the 12 hours apart for the pills, although if the vet said an hour before food of course stick to that until you have double checked with him
    http://vetmedin-us.com/Vetmedin Insert_6-07.pdf

4. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Hi thanks for that. I did read a bit on it on the internet. If the time of the food wasnt an issue, I would give the tablets at 8-9am and 8-9pm and her meal at 5 or 6 ish. Its just the vet said the tablet has to be given an hour before food (also says it on other websites) so I took it to mean she HAS to have some food an hour after taking the tablet. It would be fine if she could have the tablets 12 hours apart and her dinner whenever. My dogs are only fed once in the evening, with a couple of biscuits in the morning (I have 4)

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Just check with your vet, but as far as I can see on the leaflet which is actually the manufacturers dosage and administration chart I cant see food mentioned anywhere just the 12 hours. Whether he says before food becausse its something to do with the other med perhaps I dont know. Vetmedin isnt something Ive every used so I cant speak from experience Im afraid. He might just have said give it an hour before food because it works better that way, not meaning you have to give food an hour later, just that if you are feeding them give an hour before. I know with some meds, it says before food, others is after some is even with. He may mean as I said just in general, meaning dont give it with food its got to be any hour before.

6. Linden_Tree

Linden_Tree PetForums Member

Vetmedin must be given on an empty stomach, hence the hour before feeding (i would not feed even 2 hours before personally). This is to ensure the measured dose is broken down and metabolised in the correct time frame. If given with food, after food, or fed too early after taking, then the drug will not work properly.

You don't have to give a meal an hour after administering, but the drug can cause a slight irritation of the stomach, and cause some bile to be vomited up, so a snack, or light meal can be of benefit.

7. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Thank you to you both. I rang the vets yesterday and had a 3 way conversation with receptionist, vet and myself!!:( Basically they said the same "Meds work most effectively on an empty stomach" didnt really say 12 hour gap was imperative although desirable.) Still cannot get my head round the best times
    unless I want to get up at 5am!!! I have been giving first dose at 9am, her meal at 4 30 ish and second tablet at 9pm. So meal has had 4.5 hours to digest/empty. Do you think this ok?

8. crazydogs

crazydogs PetForums Member

Hi
    don't know if this is of any help but my dog has heart problems and is on fortekor, frusemide and just recently vetmedin. My vet gave me this website to have a look on. :)
    Vetmedin

9. cy1982

cy1982 PetForums Junior

With our dog Buzz, we gave him Vetmedin at 12 hour intervals - 6.15am and 6.15pm. We'd feed him an hour or so later. With vetmedin though, it's important its taken on an empty stomach, as this helps more of the medicine to absorb. Our cardiologist recommended that we give him his fortekor (benazepril?) after his food, as it was suggested its absorption improved with food (but perhaps only by a small amount).

I hope this helps. We lost our boy on Feb 16th and not a day goes by where we don't think about him and the love he brought to our lives.

10. armpit44

armpit44 PetForums Newbie

I have been grinding the half of 5mg pill up, & hiding it in cottage cheese, because it’s almost as big as the dog. How in <<>*~ is one supposed to get a horsepill down a Chihuahua, without food.
    She hates the taste. I tried slipping down her w butter on it, & that didn’t work. I finally got it down her wrapped in a little piece of turkey breast. But I have to do it twice a day, & it’s really near impossible. I’ve gotten meds down dogs before but never a horse pill, without any trickery. I used to just put it in my dogs mouth and hold it snout shut,but her snout but it’s so short there’s no time to grab it. Does it come as a liquid?

11. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

When my collie was on vetmedin use to grind the pill down and mix with a teaspoon of his wet meat then feed an hour later it was the only way to get the pill down him vet was informed of this he got use to what I called his starter

12. Lemonie68

Lemonie68 PetForums Newbie

We started on Vetmedin a few weeks ago along with frusemide. As recommended by our vet Bo gets her first lot at 8am and her second dose at 6pm. We don't feed her for an hour afterwards but she won't take the tablets on there own so has them in a small ball of pate. We've not noticed any problems with these times but each dog is different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice