Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help With toilet training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by GeorgeBick, Apr 3, 2011.

1. GeorgeBick

GeorgeBick PetForums Junior

Hey everyone just a quick question:

When I take my 8 week old puppy out...

a) Do i let her roam around the garden
    b) How long do I wait for her to go before I call it quits
    c) How can I encourage her to go [e.g do I play witth her first?]

Thankoo

george+poppy :001_smile:

2. frosty2010

frosty2010 PetForums Member

Just let her go in her own time and give her a treat everytime she does it outside

at that age they need to go quite often ours normally goes after he wakes up and after he eats, hope this helps

Crystal & Ryan.

3. GeorgeBick

@frosty2010: Hi what I really ment was sometimes I can go out for 15mins and she wont go, come in and then she pees lol!! .. All I was saying is it seems silly that I need to go out for 15mins+ and then she needs to go every hour thats like 1/4+ of my day in the garden ;) I am giving her a treat eveytime she goes outside but it's rare that she is going out there :/ ... thankoo for any advice

George + poppy :)

4. frosty2010

frosty2010 PetForums Member

You can get a spray to stop them going in the house and one to attract them to the garden we were lucky as ours never ever went in the house.

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-training-behaviour/75317-housetraining-your-pup-older-dog.html

Loads on here if you search ^^^

If you watch your pup like a hawk...every second of the day then the process will hopefully go smoothly. We were exceptionally lucky in that we had just two accidents in the house in the first fortnight of Kilo coming home (both my fault for taking my eye off the ball) and none since (touch wood!!). I took him out after waking, eating, playing, sleeping, every hour, set my alarm during the night for every few hours first week, then twice per night the second, then not at all and if I saw any signs. When he went outside I praised like mad, like it was the cleverest thing I had seen in my life!! Neighbours must think I'm crackers :eek:

6. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Have you got a crate? Dogs seldom eliminate in their resting areas- much prefer somewhere else that has nice lining! Crating her when it comes up to every hour, then taking her out may help her go outside, may help as she will be needing the toilet.

You may also like to try increasing the reward, i.e. giving more and extra delicious treats, for example, three small bits of cheese, or freeze-dried liver treats. She will become to want to go outside more than anywhere else, as she gets such good rewards.

7. GeorgeBick

@frosty2010: I do have the get off spray which I have been using in the house but I was unaware there was a spray to encourage her to go outside may I ask the name of it :)

@dogless: That isn't luck thats a good owner ;) I am treating her alot when she goes but so far she has only gone outside 4 times in three days :p I will persevere by taking her out every hour :)

@rottiefan: Yes she is crated and I get her up twice in the night. Sadly she dosent go either time and then goes in her crate!! I will try the cheese but it's on your head if she does smells farts! :p ;) ... only joking :)

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Keep going; you will crack it - it was the biting / nipping that took some cracking for me (think there is always one thing that is more difficult than the others) :rolleyes:

9. GeorgeBick

@Dogless: Haa haa see I so far haven't had to deal with biting or nipping. 1/2 hour ago I took her out for 10mins.. she didn't go.. been watching her but as I was typing the message she has just gone in the halway.. Reminded myself not to shout ;)

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Oh God...had bleeding hands for weeks :eek:

Just keep repeating in your head 'ignore bad, praise good'. See, I am crackers!!

11. GeorgeBick

@Dogless: Lol... may I ask how long were your intervals during the night ?

She is put in her crate at 11pm and I get up at 1am then 4am .. and so far she hasn't gone atall when I get up :p

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

They were my intervals, but after 3 nights or so I realised that I was waking him up so cut down to 3am, then just cut it out and went down if he made a noise (has never made a noise bar needing the toilet in his crate, so lucky for me again!!).

What I found good was no interaction at all, so no distractions from the business in hand; no playing and no talking bar my toilet cue 'be quick' and praise and treat when the deed has been done.

Not sure what else to suggest as you seem to be going about it all the right way - can you hear Poppy in her crate? I left the doors open so I could hear any noise downstairs where Kilo's crate was.

13. GeorgeBick

@Dogless: Sadly yes I can hear her ;) .. for the first 2 nights I had 4 hours sleep! I will try just getting up at 3and see what happens :) I am going to try and get the attractant spray that was suggested and spray it outside... see if that helps :)

14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Take it she is a tad noisy at the minute :eek:

Just keep on at it...it will pass :).

15. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Iver found it was better to go out more often for shorter periods, about every 30/45 minutes give her 5 mins max and then bring her in. Once you start to get a few successes and they get praised and really rewarded, they soon cotton on usually. Never praise though and treat until they are completely finished, use the cue word wees or whatever when they start to go but no praise and treats until the end. Made that Mistake with my Mal, he got really reliable, then had a lapse, he would pee, then come in and do another, until I realised it was me. Prasising too early, he wasnt finishing completely, and coming in and finishing after. Taking her out especially after drinking,eating play and sleeping should ensure a success too.

At night I slept downstairs for two weeks, if/when they woke of stirred I took them out then as soon as they did. To do that though she is obviously got to be within sight or sound of you. After two maybe 3 weeks see should hopefully start to go more or less through, although you may need to take her out for a fairly early morning one still.

16. Sled dog hotel

If shes having trouble settling in the crate at night, sometimes a radio down low on a talking station can help, the very low sound of talking can calm and reassure them. A jumper or old tshirt you have worn can help as the smell reassures them too in some cases. Also a large of several smallish soft toys help (Providing she wont ingest fabric) they tend to cuddle up to them, like the pups would in the litter, where they would fall asleep touching and laying on each other. so this often helps to settle them too. Worth a try.

17. GeorgeBick

@Sled Dog Hotel: Thanks for the advice I am going to add a sock of mine some soft toys and a radio by he crate tonight see if it helps :) I am also going to take her out shorter intervals when I am in but when I am out she will be in her cage! I am also sleeping downstairs at the mo it was just hard for the first two night distinguishing between her barking for toilet and for attention! should be ok now :)

18. Sled dog hotel

Just a word of warning, watch it with a sock I know she is smaller but my Malamute swallowed a whole one when he was 4mths old. If you can dig out an old t shirt and wear it and put it in her bed it might be a bit safer. Unless of course you are sure it is safe to leave a sock. She could well be ok, but some dogs are terrible for eating fabric. Ripping it up is ok, as long as they dont eat it.

19. GeorgeBick

@Sled dog hotel: I didn't read your message until this morning and put the sock in last night! She hasn't ripped/eaten it so fingers crossed a sock is ok! I think the soft toys and sock helped but the radio made things worse! Thanks for the advice with the sock and soft toys :)

20. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Apart from the things Sled Dog Hotel has suggested ,for my pup I made her up a hot water bottle, wrapped it and put it under her bed, also a small ticking clock. I was told the tick was comforting for them. Molly only woke up for toilet breaks, so perhaps they worked?:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice