Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with toilet training 11 month old setter who wets her bed

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Hepzibah, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hepzibah

Hepzibah PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I really need some of your valuable advice. I've searched on toilet training threads but can't find anything on older puppies who wet their beds.

We've had Daisy the red-and-white setter for two months. She's an ex-kennel dog and she has adjusted so well to our family life but she still wets her bed overnight and also if I'm out in the afternoon (never out for more than three hours, usually after 3pm).

I walk her in the morning after I've taken the children to school and she is in and out of the garden all day. I've been making big fusses of wees and poos outside and keep an eye on her as much as I can.

She's very quick to learn, has picked up 'sit', 'here', etc really well and I always say 'wee-wees, good girl!' when she performs outside so she knows what I want her to do.

The problem is she's got such a strong bladder that she'll go all day from her walk without weeing until about 4pm, which is usually when I'm out. How can I retrain her to go when she gets the opportunity? She responds really well to praise but I don't know what more I can do?

She also wets the bed overnight even though my husband and I will spend hours outside all evening trying to get her to go!

Help us please!

#1 Hepzibah, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. keirk

keirk PetForums Member

I would take her to the vets to have her waterworks checked - storing up urine would indicate that it might be painful to go (hence waiting until she cant wait any longer).

You could try giving her a treat (food / or a toy) when she goes - encouraging her to go on command. Like your doing at the moment ("wee wees") but you treat afterward. So the dog starts to connect the word and the action and the reward.

HTH

3. Hepzibah

That's a good plan, keirk. I'll definitely try treating her when she goes outside.

I do need to go and see the vet about getting her spayed so could get that checked at the same time... Very helpful, thank you.

4. Hepzibah

Just in case it's any use to anyone else who has the same problem... We discovered we were over-feeding her.

She's such a skinny minny we were trying to build her up but I think she was too full and not able to control her bladder and bowels. We've scaled back her food a bit and she's much better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice