Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with routine please...!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nhamblin84, Jun 30, 2009.

1. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

Hello All!

I am just looking for a few pointers on our puppies routine! As most of you know (by all of the questions i have posted :D ) we have two 13 week old beagles called Daisy and Max (brother and sister) and yes before anyone says it...we are brave :D

Their daily routine goes along the lines of:

6:30/6:45 - 7:00/7:15 - Morning Walk over the fields where we drop their leads and let them run around - practice recal with them and let them burn off some energy. Practising recal with whistle

7:15 - Breakfast - now they wolf this down no problem (i would probably say in less than a minute) some people say to leave it for 10 minutes and if they havent finished it to pick it up?! we never have any problems with this they clean their bowls in 30 seconds flat!

7:15 - 8:15 - Get the run of the kitchen and the garden whilst we are getting ready for work etc and then out for a wee (which they never do)

8:30 - 12/1 - They are left in the kitchen with their crate door open and water down. Paper down by the back door. with plenty of toys etc and radio left on

(now here is one of our problems as they keep messing on the floor aswel as their paper :( we have tried not putting paper down so that they hold it but they go on the floor??)

12/1 - 1:30 They are fed and have the run of the garden aswel as the kitchen

1:30 - 6 - They are left in the kitchen with their crate door open and water down. Paper down by the back door. with plenty of toys and radio on

6:15 They have their dinner

6:30 - 9:30 - They have the run of the kitchen and garden - with the back door open so they can go in and out if they want (and they do toilet outside when the door is open and we praise them for doing so) When we have dinner we lock them back in the kitchen. Then when all cleaning up is done we all go into the living room and watch tv (puppies play with chews/toys/practice training)
    At this point the puppies have the run of the garden kitchen and living room...is this too much? They have had a few accidents in the living room - which we are always cleaning up with bio washing powder and spraying etc.

9:30-10:00 Evening walk - practising sitting/recall etc then they have a big drink when they get back

10:15 - Go out for last wee and to bed (have been leaving a little bit of water down for them as its been warm)

We have been waking up in the morning with the paper messed on (which is fine with us as we know they cant hold it) but also on the floor! I know people will say cage them but they dont like being in their for long periods of time!

They never cry to wake us up - unless we oversleep :D

Puppy lessons to start on the 14th which i am looking forward to!

If anyone has any advice then I would be really gratefull as always!

Thanks xx

2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

It is very important that you let them out after a meal, and every 20 minutes and also right after they wake up. It looks like you have a good routine but these pups are still babies and cant hold their bladder for very long. They won't actually get the gist of doing their business outside until they are 5-6 months old. Trust me, i have mika lol!

Everytime Max and Daisy do a wee outside praise them for it. It'll teach them to go for a wee outside rather than in is a good thing.

3. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

I thnk I would close the crate door at night, are they in one crate or two so they get used to being separate and so it isn't so hot?

They will be OK over night without water, if you are concerned that they aren't drinking enough then try soaking their evening meal so they get water that way.

They are only puppies though and have yet to learn all the rules and you have to watch for the signs when they are loose in the lounge :)

Keep trying, they will get it eventually and you probably wont even notice that you have had to stop cleaning up

4. nhamblin84

Thank you to both of you for posting replys :D

They share the cage - and it is huge lol! They like to cuddle up and sleep together! They cry if they are apart! :(

We definitely keep an eye on them and if we are in the lounge we try and take them out every 10/15 mins! sometimes i think they get carried away playing and forget where they are lol!

They go out after every meal and during play time so i hope that things will fall into place :)

We give alot of praise when they do go outside! Max definitiely understands when you say toilet that he sometimes pretends to wee (yes i know this sounds mad :confused: ) so that he gets a fuss!!!

5. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

That's not silly - he has trained you well

make sure you are only praising for a definite wee - I know it is hard to tell with a boy but you may have to stand on your head and watch him :)

Just a thought do you take them out separately to train them and not together?

I only ask because the perceived wisdom is that they bond with each other and not you if you don't have one to one time (I haven't had this problem never having had litter mates but I can see where it might be)

6. Dundee

Dundee Banned

You really need to seperate them. They need to learn to be independant of each other, both during training and also around the home. If not, then they will become to dependant on each other to the detriment of anything or anyone else. Also, there will come a time when they will have to be apart (for neutering for example) and this could be extremely distressing for them unless you they have got used to being apart.

Rearing Siblings
    have a read of this - it should give you some pointers in how to bring them up to be independant, stable dogs.

7. nhamblin84

thank you everyone again for your help! we train them one at a time - so i will be with max and my o/h with daisy and vice versa - otherwise they just dont listen! they are happy to be apart in the day if ones out playing and one in lounge etc but its at bed time they dont like being apart :D

thank you for the article it is a good read :) i had read somewhere before about them bonding with each other more than us so will definitely try and correct this!

We only had one accident each last night (which is a huge improvement) :D and floor clean this morning! They had messed on the paper in the night!

Max is still squatting at the moment :D so your right its hard to tell but i will only praise him when he goes to the toilet! he did so well last night i was soooo proud :D

I set a timer so i took them out every 15 mins and shut the back door so they couldnt run back in! i told them toilet and max went everytime - but daisy just wouldnt go! she went on her walk though :)

8. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

see? don't forget to let them out after they've woken up from a nap and after they've eaten too.

9. nhamblin84

:D yep i will do! they arent napping at the moment in the evenings etc! they sometimes do at the weekend! i will be keeping my timer going as that way i wont get distracted by the soaps etc lol!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice