Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with Rileye please

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Cassie10, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Cassie10

Cassie10 PetForums Newbie

Hi all again.
    Riley is 11 weeks now and doing fine his niping has also calmed down which i'm thankful for but i have another coule of problems first of all now riley can go out the first time we took him out was on wednesday evening around 5 and he was perfect but yesterday and today he just doesnt want to move he will sit on the pavement and refuse to moveanywhere is there anywway i can make it easier for him and my back. The other problems is that i think Riley thinks my 11 year old daughter is a big chew toy he just wont leave her alone. If she is walking he will nip at her ankles if she is sitting on the sofa he will get up on the sofa and chew at whatever she is wearing and sometimes even nipped her and had her in tears. Is there anything i can do to stop him doing this.

Thanks in advance
    Lyn

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Lyn, you need to take control of the situation with your daughter, he is going to be a big strong powerful dog. Stop him anyway you have to, if she rolls around on the floor playing with him, I would also stop that, he will just think of her as another pup. Walking out at first can be quite scarey for a new pup, go out as many times a day as you can even just a couple of minutes up the road, feed him while you are out(if he will eat).

3. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

Jenny's right you cant let him get away with that behaviour, one thing you can do is everytime he nips her hand get her to hold his bottom jaw or put her hand into his mouth, he wont like it. Then he'll start learning to associate biting, even during play, with something not nice so he'll become conditioned to if he does something bad he'll get something bad back.

With the walking I agree with Jenny, If he associates going out with something positive he'll just go anywhere because he'll get food when his out.

4. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

my black male lab was like that when he was a pup.
    he would always chew on my son.
    when they would play he would always jump all over him. the poor lad could move without the dog nipping him
    we stopped this by holding his bottom jaw.plus we stopped our son playing on the floor....the dog soon got the message
    i wish you luck
    liz

5. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Our border x norfolk terrier bitch was a nightmare pup,she would tug the kids trousers down,pull at clothes and was really hyper,after a year or so she really calmed down,now shes the quietest,perfect dog! I think the kids wound her up and got her excited.Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice