Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with rehoming my dog please??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by chantelle19, May 14, 2010.

1. chantelle19

chantelle19 PetForums Junior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys.. unfortunately i am being made homeless due to some unforeseen circumstances...However that leaves me and my 2 dogs with nowhere to go....
    My eldest dog whom ive had for many years cannot be parted with me... and ive managed to convince my grandmother with whom i will be stayin with to allow him to come along... however she adamently refuses to accept my youngest dog... whos approximately 1 and half yrs old. Unlike Rocks my eldest dog, Paws is somewhat a handful. Hes a large dog, whos becoming dog aggressive despite constant interaction.
    Im running out of time for finding him a home... as no one i know is willing to take him on...
    I adopted him from Manchester dogs home... but they too refuse to accept dogs form members of the public unless lost.

The idea of getting rid of him is killing me... and i feel like such a bad dog owner... ive bin in tears for weeks over it.. but i simply have no other solution... we have nowhere to go....

Has anyone got any ideas of how i can find him a loving home.. as all my other attempts have failed.... Im actually getting upset writing this post at the thought of being without him...
    Please help guys x x

2. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Can you contact as many good rescues as possible (the wider area the better) too see if they will be able to take him in? Whilst many people do not like the idea of their dogs going into a rescue centre, the good ones will ensure that he goes to the best home possible and is neutered etc if not and will provide a lifetime support.

Alot of the good rescues do have waiting lists so the earlier you can contact them the better.

Do Manchester Dogs home not take back any dogs they adopt out as part of the adoption agreement?

What breed is he am thinking if any breed specific rescues may also be able to help.

3. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

What kind of dog is he?

4. chantelle19

manchester dogs home have a 28 day clause and anything after that.. they cant help you with and as ive had him for over a year im a little bit stuck... I am considering the RSPCA... im wary though because i refuse to put him anywhere where he will be put down.. because he does have a lot of problems.. but hes a lovely dog.....

paws is a cross staffordshire bull terrier.... but hes a very large dog..... i shall try and post a pic up if you like x

thank you very much for your advice x x

5. chantelle19

There are pictures of paws on my profile as a puppy.. as my older pics of him will not upload... hes is the white beautiful boy x

6. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

Zippstar likes this.
  7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I'm sorry but in the light of the current situation its extreamly unlikely any rescue will take your dog. Any one that will is more than likely to have a destruction policy and with his aggression issues he won't pass the assessment. Sorry to be honest but no point pretending otherwise. You need to try to either find a friend who can foster him long term until you've sorted out your home situation, rehome the older well behaved dog, pursuade your family member that the dog needs to stay with you, find somewhere that will allow you to have 2 dogs or sadly make the choice to allow him to go in peace with someone who cares for him. The alternative if he finds a rescue is he will be sitting in kennels for months if not years waiting for a home, that is if they don't pts before that time.

Horrible situation and shame on the dogs home for not offering any help but I'm afraid right now we cannot rehome the dog friendly staffie types let alone those with issues.

8. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

He is a lovely looking dog. Beautiful markings. Difficult situation for you. I do hope you manage to find a home for him.

Troy is also gorgeous as well. Do you still have him?

9. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

shak deal with real agressive dogs so i would recommend you ring them, you having nothing to lose

10. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

I agree, least they seem like they care!

11. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

i agree with this.

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Cant offer any help Im afraid but I really do feel for you. Paws is a beautiful boy and I hope he finds a lovely home.

13. chantelle19

Hi guys thanks for all your advice...
    I am indeed going to look into shak.. thanks

As for paws.... His aggression has only came to light within the past few months... and im not sure whether this is down to dominance or what... for he plays very well with my other dog Rocks a 6yr old male... and used to play well with Troy a 3 yr old male....
    I no longer live with Troy as my ex took him when we split. But i stay in contact and see him still =)

However Paws doesn't just attack dogs... he begins to play and then scraps ensue... im not sure exactly.. as you can tell im no expert....

HOWEVER
    Im refusing to accept him being put down even if it means moving away with him down south and staying with friends down there.
    I no... sounds mad..me willing to up and relocate for my little boy... but hes a sweet natured dog... and my baby.. so i refuse to give up on him.... I understand that i should be realistic though but its so hard.

Im hoping though that i can find him a decent home and not have to loose my life i have here in manchester...

thank you all for your support... ill keep you updated x

14. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I am absolutely no expert - I've only owned dogs for 3 years - but to my simple mind ;) he may be over zealous/ bad doggie mannered in his play and annoying the other dogs and then it escaltates.
    I would get a behaviourist in to asses this behaviour - then you'll have a better idea of what you're dealing with. And you can rehome or deal with accordingly.

I wish you the best of luck - it must be heart breaking for you.

15. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I thought when you adopted a dog from a rescue, he/she remained the property of the rescue. When I adopted a dog from the RSPCA, my adoption agreement stated I could not sell/rehome the dog without permisson and that they would take her back if circumstances changed.

This was about 15 years ago though

16. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Most rescues will ask you to return the dogs back to them as part of the rehoming agreement

17. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

When I rescued Molly (greyhound) I had to sign a contract to state under no circumstances shall I rehome Molly with anybody other than the rescue I got her from, and if I should fall into unforseen circumstances which results in not being able to look after her I have to return her to that rescue and only that rescue.

Have you got a receipt or contract or piece of paper stating you got him from that rescue?

They SHOULD take him back due to your circumstances, through no fault of your own you are unable to look after your dog.

Very emotional situation you are in, aswell as difficult and heart breaking.

I hope you come to an ideal conclusion and manage to find whats best for your dog.

All the best, and hope everything works out for you xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice