Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with recommended breed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by JK2899, Oct 22, 2018.

1. JK2899

JK2899 PetForums Newbie

Hello all. I'm looking for advice please. Ive resisted getting my kids (early teens) a cat until now due to the factors listed below but they have sadly lost their mum and so im keen to understand from this forum if there are any breeds that would suit the below factors. I would not want the new cat to be unhappy because it was placed in an environment unsuitable for its nature.

Appreciate the answer might be there is no such breed but any suggestions welcome.

1. The hardest issue is that (embarrassingly) i am diagnosed with OCD and while I have been able to look after friends cats for a couple of days and I am able to clean out their litter tray, I really struggle with cats jumping onto worktops. I appreciate many on this forum will find this hard to relate to but it can make me really ill with stress which in turn would create a stressful environment for both the kids and the new cat. Appreciate all cats can and do jump but are there breeds which are less interested in jumping and climbing?

2. We live in a flat in a busy city so the cat would need to be happy being permanently indoors. Lazy/docile breed best?

3. Someone would be in the flat most of the time so it would NOT be alone while everyone at work/school.

4. A smaller cat would be preferable but I guess this is least important

5. there are no young children or any other pets in the flat but I'm not very confident with pets. I don't mind kittens being hyper but I would be uneasy with something large jumping and pouncing on me. So a breed that develops into a laid back, loving and friendly (preferably small) adult that loves to be picked up and hugged would be best for our family.

Is this a lost cause? Please say so but i would really welcome any constructive suggestions for breeds that meet the above criteria.

Thank you to anyone able to help.

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    From what I understand the best (but not guaranteed) way to keep cats off counters, is to have a close suitable alternative they are allowed to use, such as cat shelving or a large cat tree near the prohibited area.
    Have it ready when the cat comes and temporarily put aluminum foil or double sided sticky tape in the counters you don't want the cat to use.
    A kitten may be to small to jump up but will be able when older.

https://www.furzu.co.uk/collections/cat-shelf-beds
    A cat may be happy to be higher than the counters and snooze near by or watch the activity down below.

3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Sorry forgot regarding breed, probably not a Bengal, otherwise not sure. A rescue may be able to help match you with an adult cat that may suit your family.

4. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

If you get a pedigree cat from a reputable breeder, then they will almost certainly come with a contract stipulating the cat is to be indoor only, unless provided with an enclosed outdoor space.

Breeds wise, there is never any guarantee that a given cat will not jump or climb where you don't want them to. I have two moggies, and my older girl has never been one for going on the kitchen worktops even in her younger years. My 5yo tortie, on the other hand, I've given up on trying to stop her! :rolleyes: She does only do it when I'm busty and she wants attention, though - she's an intelligent one, and knows how to get a reaction ;) There is also plenty you can do to offer alternatives; most posters on here will have at least one tall cat tree, and some will have cat shelves too. If you make the alternatives more attractive, you stand a much better chance of keeping them off the forbidden areas. There are also ways to make the forbidden areas less preferable places to explore, such as the sticky tape summercat mentioned.

That said, there are certain breeds you would want to rule out. Bengals, certainly, but any high energy or adventurous breed Such as Siamese, Ocicat, Orientals, Devon/Cornish Rex etc. would be more likely to jump up.

At the other end of the energy scale, I'm most familiar with Persians and their short hair counterparts, the Exotic. However, the lower energy cats do tend to be the bigger breeds - sort of the difference between small but high power sports cars and steady, reliable people carriers ;) And even the most laid back breeds do have their mad ten minutes when they tear around the room pouncing at shadows!

Incidentally, my best friend has properly diagnosed OCD, but has had moggies for years too - she's never liked them jumping up in the kitchen and has done her best to train them not to, but manages to make allowances for the odd disobedience and shuts the door on the kitchen when there's tempting things around :)

5. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

My British Shorthair has all of those qualities, so I would recommend one like her :)

6. Dumpling

Dumpling PetForums VIP

Not a Siamese! Mine get everywhere, on top of the worktop, table, fridge/freezer etc, a couple of mine have also had a habit of launching themselves onto your shoulders when your back is turned!

If you're set on a specific breed then more laid back breeds like others have suggested; exotics, persians, british shorthairs/longhairs etc.

Have you maybe considered a rescue? If you get an adult cat you will have more of an idea as to whether they would be cuddley and not too energetic. You could also consider a cat with disabilities if you're providing an indoor home, such as a blind cat/ hind limb amputees, as the ones I've met when volunteering at a rescue weren't big jumpers! (the forelimb amputees tended to be pretty good at getting up high!)

7. JK2899

JK2899 PetForums Newbie

Ok thank you everyone. Sounds like it's not a lost cause. Quite like the high powered sports car versus people carrier analogy. I definitely do NOT want a ferrari cat!!! Hmmmm I should have said Jaguar F-type huh?!? :)

8. white_shadow

white_shadow PetForums Member

I'm left wondering if all this is your own idea.......or, the kids'?

Can you talk a little about this?

As well, have you ever lived with a cat before now?

9. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

The other thing to consider is adopting an older cat, their energy levels might be lower? We adopted an 11 year old DSH in March. I have issues with cleanliness and tidiness (for want of a better way of describing it!) - but it's been ok. Strangely he went up onto the kitchen worktop for the first (and only) time a couple of weeks ago - he's jumped onto the utility tops occasionally but not often. I have become much more relaxed in terms of some things - we do hoover twice a day though ;) He sleeps a LOT and has a tootle around the garden and plays some but not loads - I also didn't want a ferrari cat, I'm very happy with one that's a bit more lazy besides the attacks of the zoomies (which happens five nights a week I reckon). Much as I love kittens, I get my kitten fix here looking at all the photos :) I hope you can figure it out.

AmsMam and Dumpling like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice