Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with Puppy who will not walk whilst on his lead!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Johnnybandit, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Johnnybandit

Johnnybandit PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    I am after some advice reference our Puppy Archie(Cockerpoo).
    He Is 3 months old now and when he is off his lead he is great and 9 times out of 10 he will come back when called and he will also walk just in front or behind us at all times. He is also very good at home.

However when you put his lead on he just like a mule!! He just sits down and will not budge or he will wallk a few yards then he will stop again. We just cannot get very far at all!!

We try luring him with treats as told at puppy class but this does not work. However on the way back home be it 10 yards or 100 yards he is so much better.

We use a normal lead at the moment, do you think a flexi lead would be better for his walking?

If anybody has any advice it would be very helpful.

Thanks

John

2. rona

rona Guest

Try putting the lead on him at home and let him run around with it on, supervised of course, just to get him used to it.
    Expendable leads really aren't safe for adult dogs let alone puppies, you may do damage to his neck
    Lots of people have this problem, it just may take a while to convince him that it's a good idea :D

3. staflove

staflove PetForums VIP

Hi there i find putting the lead on in the house works and letting him roam round the house, hes only a baby he will get used to it its just time, i took my little girl out in the car to the bottom of the road and had some real tasty treats it took us a while but she did it in the end for every step she made i praised her and treated her with sausage good luck :)

4. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Have you tried attaching his lead to his collar when he is in the house (supervised of course) and letting him drag it around? I've been told that this can help the pup get used to the weight of the lead so it isn't such a big difference when you pick up the lead to go on a walk.

5. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

LOL must type faster!

6. davehyde

davehyde Banned

although it sounds cruel it isnt, just drag him along, as long as it is on grass.

he'll soon get the message.

when he stands or walks even a few steps prsise him madly.

he needs to know that when on lead he has to walk with the alpha pack member no messing about or lying down.

treats are ok in the short term but he must be made to realise that lead misbehaviour is a real no no.

what if it happened in the middle of a road??

7. maggi174

maggi174 PetForums Newbie

that sounds like great advice, firm but fair! What about the opposite problem, my rescue staff cross bitch pulls madly on the lead and she's almost stronger than me

8. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

you could try a halti (face harness) we have one for Akira and since she has been on it she walks beautifully at my side :D

9. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

I persoanlly wouldnt recommend pulling him along the street, by doing this you could make the situation a whole lot worse. If you hurt him he will associate the lead with nasty things and pain. Also if he digs his feet in you would be putting a lot of pressure on his neck to get him to move. Not good for a 3month old puppy, they are delicate at that age. :)

10. leashedForLife

hey, jb! :--)

i agree that letting Pup drag the lead around is a huge help; it really makes a difference.
    lots of praise for *walking home* is also a wonderful practice.

alternatively, why not let Pup *walk U*? let the puppy lead the way - Stand! still until the pup begins to move, and *follow*. ;)
    don;t forget to praise the pup; tossing a treat or toy *Ahead* of the pup can break the stand-off, too.
    U toss, they walk to play/eat; U toss, Pup walks...
    to be blunt, Flexis and all their mimics utterly suck -
    they teach NO good habits, and teach plenty of bad, including *pulling*.
    after all, the #$@! Flexi/extendable is spring-loaded, duh-oh...
    to get any leash at all, the dog MUST pull - to keep the leash OUT, the dog must maintain the tension.
    and if they have 6-ft and want 8-ft, they have to PULL * HARDER - the more leash is out, the more-strength it takes,
    as the spring-tension increases.

cheers,
    --- terry

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

All young pups go through this stage :) I got mine used to their leads as soon as they came home by putting them on and letting them run round. I also tethered them to me for a little while so they got used to moving along with me and it had the added bonus that they couldn't do anything naughty because they were with me :D

Once they'd had their injections and were ok to go out I coaxed them with a few treats.

12. ArwenLune

ArwenLune PetForums Senior

Brilliant idea. :rolleyes: Drag him along by the neck, thereby providing the pup with every evidence that being walked on a lead is painful and horrible.

I'm sure that will lead to a dog that is happy to walk nicely on a lead!

Every experience is a buidling block for future behaviour. If you create good experiences, the dog will base future behaviour on good experiences.
    If you create painful or scary experiences, the dog will base future behaviour on painful and scary experiences.

Recently heard: "My horse won't go in the trailer anymore"
    "Well, what happened last time you loaded her?" sez I
    "She hesitated, and we had to use a whip to get her in"
    "So basically you proved to her beyond a doubt that going in the trailer is painful and horrible, and now you're surprised she won't go near the trailer?"

13. leashedForLife

oh, my! :nonod: i believe it, tho. :( and people often don;t put the 2 together at all,
    until U literally make it a super-simple One plus One = Two. :confused1: they don;t see the trap; APOs step right into it.

if U learn nothing else whatever about training, remember this one thing:
    consequences drive behavior.
    this action is rewarded? it will very likely be repeated.
    this action is UNrewarded or worse, bad things happen?
    that behavior is UNlikely to be repeated.

if i make a speech at 7-YO in front of my school-class - like a book-review - and i am ridiculed, teased for weeks,
    and get a hurtful nickname, how do U think i will do in Speech-101 in college?
    will i enjoy it, dread it, avoid it?

consequences today build emotional-responses for life - choose carefully.
    ;) there are no inconsequential behaviors in training; SIT matters.

--- terry

14. ArwenLune

ArwenLune PetForums Senior

I improved it in 4 1-hour sessions until the horse freely walked into the trailer. That wasn't the hard part though - the hard part was silencing or sending away the bystanders that were going "We haven't got all day! Just MAKE HER GO IN!"

15. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

If Holly stops walking, we'll normally call her name, and tap our hips, and she'll normally come and follow. Don't drag your pup as it won't help. You need to be patient. Also, don't use a flexi, stick to your normal lead.

16. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Please OP, don't follow this advice.

As the others have said, try having the lead attached around the house so he gets used to having light pressure on his neck.

Then you can move on to luring him into position at heel, again around the house and garden, with treats when he's in the right place. Then gradually picking up the lead.

Dragging him around by the neck is not the way to teach him - and you risk injuring him.

17. Daggre

Daggre PetForums Member

On the topic of flexi leashes, i think they're great for training =)

Obviously, when wlaking normally, I 'lock' the lead to a normal length and Star walks at my heel, but if there's another dog, I let it go, so she can run on, and I can then call her back (she's learning to come when other dogs are around) she knows that when I make a clicking sound she's near the end of the elad too, so she'll wait for me to catch up (sometimes I let her sniff around in a field with sheep when it's extended so she can get used to having a sniff and ignoring sheep) I effectively use it as a long line.

However I agree, getting one for such a young dog is a bad idea, first you want your dog to learn to walk next to you, not pull ahead :)

I agree with others, put the lead on (under supervision) around the house, You could also put it on before feeing the pupppy (put on the lead, make him sit, serve the food, then let him go and at with the lead on). Good luck with this =D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice