Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help with Puppy toilet training

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rhi-1985, Jul 24, 2009.

1. rhi-1985

rhi-1985 PetForums Newbie

Can anyone advise me. I have a 9 month old Bichon Frise Puppy. She is so adorable and cute, well for 98% of the time. I have had her for 5 months and for the 5 months I have tried everything to toilet train her. I have tried crate training her. But she didn't like it and the neighbours complained because she used to bark. This is her/our routine: I take her water bowl off her at 8pm at night. Before she goes to bed (at 10.30pm) I will put her out side to go to the toilet. Which she does do every night without fail. I then award her with praise and a treat. When I wake up the following morning at 6am I go down to find that she has weed in the kitchen. I tell her off "No, No naughty girl" (pointing the finger at her). She knows she has done wrong because she looks sad and doesn't get out of her bed. She then has her breakfast and I let her out again at 9am to go to the toilet. I then get home at 3pm to find she has been to the toilet again on the kitchen floor. I then tell her off again. Out of the 5 months I have had her she has managed to go 2 nights with out going to the toilet in the kitchen and 5 days with out going to the toilet in the kitchen during the day. Im starting to worry that there is something wrong with her. Why can't see go all night without going to the toilet on the kitchen floor (she toilets outside before she goes to bed). I love her to bits and she knows shes doing wrong, I really want to help her. Can anyone advise me where I am going wrong.

2. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi and Welcome,
    It is quite a long timee your leaving her between toilet visits and I know my two will have been into the garden for toilet trips quite a few times between 9 - 3.

She is not assiociating the mess she has made with the telling of she is receiving,dogs live in the moment.
    What I would do is start getting up in the night and taking her out to toilet,stay with her until she has been,praise reward and back to bed.

When you get up if she has made a mess,don't say anything to her take her outside again praise reward when she goes in the correct place.Clean the area she has soiled with bio washing powder.

It sounds like she has not been trained properly to go outside in the correct place and you might have to go back to basics with her,outside every 30 minutes,stay out till she performs and praise reward.

I would also suggest you book her in for a check at the vets to rule out an underlying cause such as a ITU.
    Good luck :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice