Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with puppy not listening to me!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by NicholasChill, Aug 12, 2019.

1. NicholasChill

NicholasChill PetForums Newbie

My 4 month old australian shepherd, Faith has a hard time listening to me when I call her name. During training sessions she does great with listening to me. Faith won't listen to me when she is interested in something like another dog or some interesting smell. I call her name once to see if she will look at me and most of the time she won't especially if she sees another dog. Faith starts barking and jumping when another dog gets closer to her. I am helpless in these situations because I don't want her barking at other dogs, runners, bikers, cars and I don't want her to eat/chew on everything she sees. I don't what to do to get her attention. Luring her away with a treat works when she smelling the ground but ignores treats if she sees another dog. I really need help!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

There is a trainer (can't remember who) that uses the acronym BMFI in this situation - be more ******* interesting. It's a bit extreme but your issue seems to be that your dog would be happier engaging with other dogs than with you. So try upping your game - mix training and play, have the best toys and the best treats so your dog would rather be paying attention to you than anything else. Maybe also avoid areas that are too dog heavy, or if you are in them, keep her on a lead so she doesn't get distracted by them.

She is still very young though, so maybe you are expecting a little much from her just now.

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Is she on lead or off? If off, get her on a harness and long line so she has no choice but to respond to you.

Lurcherlad and Linda Weasel like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice