Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help with puppy feeding

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by moonface, Aug 2, 2009.

1. moonface

moonface PetForums Junior

Hi I could use some advice!

Our 8 wk old pup for some reason wont eat food in her bowl she has to take each piece of food out the bowl (which is in her crate) to some area of the room away from us. She also does this with treats - won't eat them from my hand has to take them away from me to eat.

What can I do?

2. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Im not sure to be honest but my pup did this for the first couple of days, i wondered whether she was maybe bottom of her litter mates and needed to take food away so that no one would nick it! Im not really sure, but she doesnt do it anymore, how long have you had your pup what breed is it?

:) xx

3. sandymaynard

sandymaynard PetForums Senior

Hi Moonface
    This is normal for alot of pups!
    They have just left mum and brothers and sisters!
    They are used to eating around others! all of a sudden they are left alone to eat!
    Sounds like just a bit of shyness nothing to worry about!
    When you say she is not eating, how do you mean?
    Do you mean she won't eat with you around!
    If she is not eating full stop! Did you find out what the breeders had her on food wise! As she has gone through alot of turmoil leaving mum!
    You can change food within a couple of weeks but for the time being it is best if she was on same food!
    If she is shy when eating!
    There are a couple of ways you can train her not to be!
    1. Next time it is meal time, sit with her while she eats and stroke her this will teach there you go safe to eat with me around!
    2.When you do give her treats close doors so she can't leave with it! This will teach her that she is safe to eat around you!
    Hope this helps!
    Sandy

4. moonface

Hi Sandy and hb and thanks for replying.

She is eating just has to take the food out of the bowl and away from us.

I was planning to make the change of food gradually but the vet said to just go ahead and change as they gave us a free bag of Hills and she liked it, she was on pedigree puppy in jelly before and they disagreed with the wet food as did I.

Her first day with us I did give her the pedigree puppy food and she still took it out the bowl to eat which was pretty messy!

As she has been on the dry Hills for 3 days now surely it would be best to stick with it rather than more change?

I have been stroking her and sitting next to her while she eats but she walks off away from me with it and I didn't follow as I was unsure what to do.

Hb-mini - I also wondered if it was something she had to do with her brother and sister?

She's a cavalier king charles btw. This is her 4th day with us.
    :)

5. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

Hi first congrats on your new baby. If she takes her food to the same place couldn't you put the bowl there until she gets used to eating with you. It wont take long if she is a typical cav.I s the foos left down all the time for her to graze if so try leaving the bowl down for 10mins then pick it up so she is hungry for the next feed that will usually only take once or twice.If you are worried try mixing a bit of meat in or gravy just to make it taste good as she has lost all competition so no need to eat straight away.Most cavs are like mini labs were there stomachs are concerned so she will soon eat when she settles in

6. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Ahh i can see her in your avatar pic....she is a cutie!!

we have had Bella a week now and she is getting a lot better. Im sure your girl will settle in!
    :)

7. moonface

Ah thanks!

I do take the food away after 15 minutes so she has to wait til next meal so I guess she will learn that she goes hungry if she faffs around taking it bit by bit around the room! And yes she does take the bits to different spots she's not bothered where as long as it's not by us so I can't move the bowl !

8. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Hi, your puppies is gorgeous :001_wub:

I don't know if this will work but have you tried a shallower dish for her to feed from to start with? This worked with both my girls until they were confident and eating better.

As for treats all 5 of mine will go to different places to eat theirs once I have given the threats to them :)

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave was doing this for a while, so I fed him in his crate and he stopped.

Your puppy is lovely :)

x

10. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our five year old Bichon always did this with dried kibble. He was on Wafcol which was quite big pieces and he would get about five of them in his mouth and take them from the kitchen where his bowl was to the lounge and then drop them all out of his mouth and then eat them.:rolleyes:
    He can't do it now cos he's on Naturediet. :laugh:

11. moonface

Good to know other dogs do the same with their treats so I shouldn't worry about that.

Thing is as she's my first dog I don't really know what to worry about and what not to! It's a bit like having a baby in that respect! Obviously I've done loads of reading up but it's much better to actually hear from someone else who's been through it.

I also thought about the bowl although this one is pretty shallow it's a proper puppy bowl I thought maybe she doesn't like the colour? Or texture? It's a pink plastic one. Although she's fine with the water bowl which is the same?

I thought I'd go to pets at home today get another bowl and also a clicker - we had a cheap one which broke but it worked really well. With toilet training she doesn't seem bothered about the praise I give just stands and looks at me but when I clicked she ran to me and loved the praise.

12. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Aww it sounds like you are doing really well with her.:D
    We have a puppy too - she's 16 week old today. We've had her since she was 10 weeks old. There's never a dull moment with a puppy around is there? :laugh:

Are there are photos of your puppy anywhere?

13. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Awww your puppy is gorgeous :001_wub: How old is she?

My B & T is 13 weeks old today :)

Pippa did the same for a couple of days, I changed her food dish to a shallower one and she stopped. It only lasted a few days.

Ellie x

14. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Sammy also done this for the first 3 or 4 days after we got him, but has grown out of it so I wouldn't worry about it too much x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice