UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I STARTED NEW THREAD AS DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO PUT THIS B4 ALL HELP APPRECIATED GREATLY
I have recently inherited a dear friends siamese queen on active reg a beauty to look after and has certainly made herself at home with my cats and kids and dog! Before she was given to me however I was told she had run with a stud but they they thought the mating was unsuccesful. She settled in nicely and had begun calling so about a week after we got her home soI presumed they were right.Having raised litters of foster kittens before about 10 years back (memory not good now with since having kids!) I was fine with the prospect of her maybe being pregnant but when the calling started approx 16th April I decided to put her to stud later in year. She is a lovely pedigree and a gentle petit lilac girl;...However she did start to show signs of pregnancy larger belly increased appetite, enlarged teats etc overly affectionate sleeping LOTS on my comfy bed! lol
However her tummy has now disappeared as such, no signs of miscarriage, no ill health, still eating for england and affectionate and no calling since....Just looking for a little advice really as to what other owners/breeders think-Is she or isn't she? I do remember my old siamese x that came to us as pregnant did look to have lost her belly about a week or two before the birth and wondering if this may just be the kits moving further towards the birth canal?
All provisions have been made for if she is whelping enclosure, lactol milk should I need to hand rear etc... she has a full 12x 10 summer house with run for if she is but don't want to move her up there until I know for definate as she adores human company but thought that would be a safe place to keep the little bundles from my other cats.
Sorry if this seems a silly post but as I said it is a long time since I have had a litter! many thanks Bwolf x

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
IVe never experienced a phantom in a cat but i'm not saying they dont have them... just not something ive come accross.

When is she due? or when did she go to stud?

Most girls belly drops not long before birth.... not quite so much of the swallowed a beach ball look but still a round belly underneath.

I assume you have checked through the house for any signs that she has miscarried etc?, and that there is no discharge from mum?

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
BBM my mentor had one of girls have a phantom not long ago. I think she said the only thing that was different to an actual pregnancy was the lack of movement in the belly ... then obviously the lack of kittens. I think it was so bad for her she had her spayed. Becbec might be able to confirm that for me (waves at Bex if you're reading *wave*).

Phantom is possible, as is reabsorption I guess. But I'm not sure how far along they get v's reabsorption when it's dangerous?

Maybe it would be batter to get her checked over by the vet. At least they should be able to tell you one way or the other, and you will be able to relax and plan the next move, or prepare for arrival!

Good luck xxx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for replying guys. Right since posting this morning madam has decided to make me looka fool:confused:: She is calling at the window to all toms in manchester! has been showing all the signs of coming bak into season which fits with all dates if phantom or reabsorbtion. we are booked into the vet for tomorrow eveing anyway so shall be getting positive answer then. (shall let you know).
As I said she is fine in herself and there has been no discharge, no part absorbed feotus' etc... anywhere. Mysteries of mother nature eh!
I am glad she is back to normal I do wonder if it was the whole stress of moving here which caused these events it was a very sad move for her and has never suffered in her previous pregnancy. But obviously as my friend is no longer with us I cannot ask some vital questions to her. I just hope the vet confirms that she is fine and doing well as she is such a little gem. Many thanks shall keep you posted.

It's like kids isn't it as oon as you take te to the doctors when they've been throwing up all night and terribly ill you get inside the surgery and hey presto they're running round like nutters!
x

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
BBM my mentor had one of girls have a phantom not long ago. I think she said the only thing that was different to an actual pregnancy was the lack of movement in the belly ... then obviously the lack of kittens. I think it was so bad for her she had her spayed. Becbec might be able to confirm that for me (waves at Bex if you're reading *wave*).

Phantom is possible, as is reabsorption I guess. But I'm not sure how far along they get v's reabsorption when it's dangerous?

Maybe it would be batter to get her checked over by the vet. At least they should be able to tell you one way or the other, and you will be able to relax and plan the next move, or prepare for arrival!

Good luck xxx
that would be really interesting if your mentor would post some more details! Like i said its not something ive experienced (or perhaps i have and put it down to reabsorption?) :confused1: :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi everyone,

Yes Jo crystal had a phantom. She put her to stud and thought she was expecting but when she went into labour nothing happened. Full blown contarctions but no kittens, she took her into vets and she had an infection, Womb full of puss and had to have her spayed there and then. Nasty business but she had been calling a long time before I believe as her own stud wasnt ready so she sent her out to stud.

I have never experienced one myself.

xxx Wave to Jo xxx :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.