Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Help with poorly pup!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Zoehall1987, Aug 11, 2020.


  1. Zoehall1987

    Zoehall1987 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2020
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello, I am looking for some advice regarding a french bulldog puppy. We purchased him 2 months ago from a private breeder after his first 8 week health check and vaccines which was given the all clear. Upon us taking him for his second vaccinations at 12 weeks, we discovered a heart murmur. We were told to come back after 4 weeks and it is still present therefore have taken him to a heart specialist after recommendation/referral and a congenital heart disease which requires expensive surgery was diagnosed. He was born with this condition therefore the first vet visit with the breeder was misrepresented but the breeder is refusing a refund. What rights do we have to be able to keep the puppy and demand a refund? The dog cost us £2000 and the scan alone was £700, his surgery will cost £5000 and there is a chance he will need another of the same cost if the first isn't successful. We have obviously been sold this pup under false pretences although the breeder was given the incorrect info from his vet, he is liable (according to citizens advice) but we have obviously become attached to him and would not like to return him but is shaping up to be more than we can afford.. No insurance I may add as a pre-existing condition. Could we have some of these vet bills covered by the breeder and still keep our dog? Or is our only legal rights to return for a refund under consumer acts?
     
  2. gskinner123

    gskinner123 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Messages:
    3,932
    Likes Received:
    1,862
    I'm a cat breeder but the same will apply. You cannot keep the pup and have a refund under UK law.

    The cost of treatment however is obviously going to be way beyond the puppy's cost.

    I have seen virtually the same scenario with a pedigree kitten, the initial vet having missed a severe health problem, picked up by new owner's vet just two days after the kitten was in its new home.

    Legal advice in conjunction with a veterinary specialist's report (the breeder was was refusing any recompense and would not the kitten back) was to start legal proceedings against the breeder who, they were told, would sue their vet, should they wish to.

    It went to arbitration with solicitors and the breeder repaid the cost of the kitten plus 50% of estimated veterinary fees.

    Whether they ever recovered this from their own vet I don't know.

    Terrible situation to be in, I'm ever so sorry.
     
  3. Zoehall1987

    Zoehall1987 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2020
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you for your help. The breeder has said he would take the puppy back but not give any refund. He is basically saying it's not his problem as his Vet gave the all clear so unlikely to take any matter up with them. If we take him to small claims court and pursue 'damage' costs, he would then need to claim from them but seems disinterested in the whole situation at the moment. We want to keep our puppy now but feel he is now not worth the 2K we paid and therefore should be entitled to some sort of discount but as the breeder is not cooperating, we will look into compensation for this hefty surgery bill. Just hoping we have some legal grounds on this.
     
  4. Eejay

    Eejay PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2017
    Messages:
    164
    Likes Received:
    330
    I’ve seen others on this site recommending Trevor Cooper at Dog Law.They are specialists in canine legal issues so probably worth a call.
     
    Zoehall1987 likes this.
  5. Sarah H

    Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2014
    Messages:
    8,998
    Likes Received:
    15,921
    If you show you are serious about taking them to court then they might rethink. But not, you can't have the money and the dog, you either return the dog (faulty goods) and get your money back or keep the dog and lose money. You might get financial help from the breeder if you threaten to take them to court but they don't sound like they would.
     
  6. Rafa

    Rafa PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2012
    Messages:
    15,406
    Likes Received:
    23,689
    It's fairly complicated.

    If, in fact, the Breeder had the pup vetted at eight weeks old and her Vet missed the murmur, then the Breeder has done nothing wrong.

    What type of surgery can correct a heart murmur?
     
    David C and Blitz like this.
  7. Burrowzig

    Burrowzig PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    19,021
    Likes Received:
    13,466
    It can be due to small holes between the chambers, or badly-fitting valves, which can be sewn up.
     
  8. DogMom27

    DogMom27 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2020
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    8
    Hello Zoe! I just saw your post and would be keen to chat-I purchased a Frenchie pup in March from a breeder who wasn't able to see a vet at the time due to lockdown, when we took her for her first jabs we found out she had a severe (grade 4) heart murmur, later scans found pulmonary stenosis and we since had the balloon valvuloplasty surgery to repair it. We were also not covered under insurance as it was found on the 12th day of our policy. Have probably paid over £7k in vet bills but the heartache along the way has been the most costly for us and our children. Breeder was based in Surrey, surgery done at the amazing North Downs. Would be interested to hear how things progressed since your post in August?
     
  9. Blitz

    Blitz PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Messages:
    19,513
    Likes Received:
    16,820
    You will not get a reply from her as it looks like she joined the forum for that one question and has not posted since
     
  10. DogMom27

    DogMom27 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2020
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    8
    Thank you, was hoping she might log back on from time to time like I do .
     
  11. Zoehall1987

    Zoehall1987 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2020
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, we had the exact same surgery for him in September (and have also spent 7k) it brought his pressure on his heart down from 180 to 100 which is still severe (above 80) but have been told he can possibly live with it and to keep monitoring him whilst keeping him fit and healthy. We have another check up after 6 months but it doesn't seem to affect him right now, our worry is when he's older it might. Our only option in the end was taking the breeder to small claims court which would've meant returning him for a refund, we didn't want to lose him so we did not pursue this. I have however reported him to Swansea local council and am still waiting on an update on this.. I hope your pup is well and I'm sorry you all had to go through this, I understand that heartache :(
     
  12. DogMom27

    DogMom27 PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2020
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    8
    Ah, sorry to hear this-the same happened with Bonnie, ironically she was at 144 and went down to 88 so about the same level of improvement post surgery. I was actually quite upset after the surgery that her levels stayed so high as she is also still classified as severe but we've not experienced any symptoms either although she is on beta-blockers (Atenolol) twice a day and was quite pant-y when it was hot. We are also due to return for regular (expensive!) check ups and scans to monitor her progress. Have you had him neutered yet? Our local vet seems hesitant as due to heart condition she needs to have special anesthetic so I've put it off and she's not yet had her first season anyway. We didn't pursue our breeder either although I do check the Pets4homes site regularly to see if they have put any other litters up there as it's a genetic condition that could be passed on to other pups and I would hate for anyone to go through this. I did send her a letter to advise that her dog carried this condition and asked her to not breed her again but sadly I doubt that she will listen.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice