Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with pet insurance ???

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AWPhoto, Jul 21, 2009.

1. AWPhoto

AWPhoto PetForums Newbie

As i'm new too the site i have had a look but don't seem to be able to find what i'm after.

Is there a no-nonsense guide to what the best pet insurance companies are for dogs. If there isn't would it be possible to get a poll going of what companies people are using to get an idea of what the popular vote is.

Andy

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I use More Than insurance,have not had to claim yet but seem good price

3. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

same, but we did have to make a claim on Inca exactly a week after being spayed, she swalowed my wee brothers dummy teat and had to get it rememoved from her intestine. we has a £70 exes to pay to the vets and the rest was dealt with by the insurence directly. very happy with them.

4. AWPhoto

AWPhoto PetForums Newbie

Had a look at more than insurance, first thing i noticed is with the excess, thy state that the excess is £70 + 10% of the total cost of the vet treatment. Worst case is there could be a big bill done the line for the excess.

Andy

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I would go for a lifetime cover. It covers all illnesses for all of your pets life. And any new ones. I used to be on 12 month cover for our Labrador, but if i claimed on say...diabetes after 12 months i would have to pay for all the medication and anything related to the diabetes. It pays to go lifetime. Petplan is a very good one. But if you google 'lifetime pet cover' or lifetime cover pet insurance' you will find a lot. Just read the small print before you sign up!!

6. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i use animal friends insurance cost seems fine for a purebred GR

i have the gold lifetime cover.

plus all there profits go to animal welfare

7. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

Hi Andy,

Firsty welcome to Pet Forums, I'm fairly new to the forums and already addicted!! :)

I would recommend checking out the Defaqto rating of the policies available to you, Defaqto is an independent review system that reviews all forms of financial products and awards them stars based on their product Vs the competition in that sector/product. This link to our site may help you as we have already done the leg work in putting together the comparison between some of the most popular insurance policies - Compare Dog Insurance | ComparePetCare.co.uk

I hope that helps, and whilst I can't personally recommend one insurer, I don't think it's something you can choose based on following the crowd on a forum, but from reviewing the policies available and seeing which plan best suits your pets needs.

Good luck, Viki

8. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

I hope someone will make a list or a review of different pet insurance available so that people who are looking for such info can find it easily.

9. Frenchie

Frenchie Banned

Hi there,

The first thing to say is congratulate you in your research of pet insurance! I think you made the right choice, making sure you can look after your pet no matter what.

Anyhoo, the 1st thing you need to decide when choosing pet insurance is what you are looking for? i.e. cheap cover, comprehensive cover or something in between?

Not all pet insurance policies are the same, cover varies a lot between providers, whether in terms of how they pay claims or what kind of treatment you can claim for.

To wrap it up in a few points, I would say consider the following:

1. Type of cover: 12-month limited, per condition or lifetime. I added links there so you can read exactly what these means on my blog.

2. Vet fees level that you need (generally the bigger your dog the higher the vet fees)

3. What kind of treatments are covered: complementary treatments, clinical diet foods...?

4. What's the excess? Is it fixed or variable, does it change as your pet gets older?

5. Is a reputable company and do some other owners recommend it?

A few other things you need to be aware of:

1. If you dog has been treated for or shown any sign of an illness/condition, then you will have to disclose it when you buy your pet insurance policy. The condition will be classed as pre existing and will not be covered. Your pet will still be insured though but not for this.

2. Most policies have a waiting period (generally 10 or 14 days but up to 28 in some cases). This means you wont be able to claim for illnesses for the 1st 14 days, so get your cover ASAP.

That said, i hope this is helpful. There's plenty of more detailed information on my pet insurance blog. I'm sure you'll find the content useful.

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

10. AWPhoto

AWPhoto PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the replies. So far I have setteled on Lifetime cover so that most problems that crop up should be covered on an ongoing basis. Will be slightly dearer but what's not these days. I've been getting quotes from £8 to £36 I'm not a big reader however I will have to force myself to read all the small print from each concerned.

With Sumo being an Akita also looking at the fact the extra Public Liability would do no harm. Although I hope pray inever need it.

11. AWPhoto

AWPhoto PetForums Newbie

I had cause to goto the vets this evening & while I was there I mentioned insurance to him. I started with please don't say Petplan, he went on I'm glad not to suggest them. He recommended M&S and Sainsburys. So I'm off to get a quote off them.

Andy

12. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

Hi Andy,

M&S has 2 and 5 star ratings for their dog policies, that's the Defaqto rating system (independent financial comparison).
    As we don't yet have Sainsbury's on our site I went ahead and checked on the Defaqto site for you, and here's their star ratings...

Sainsbury's Finance
    PetCare (£3000 vets fees)
    Under the area Dog Insurance
    1 Star

PetCare (£7500 vets fees)
    Under the area Dog Insurance
    4 Stars

As mentioned M&S Premier has 5 stars, other policies that have 5 stars are Halifax Pet Insurance Extra & Pet Protect Lifelong Extra, you can view more comparison of these policies here - Compare Dog Insurance | ComparePetCare.co.uk

Hope that helps & good luck! :)
    Viki

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice