Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with persistent abscess

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emmaviolet, Oct 31, 2020.

1. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Hi all.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe in these strange times.

I'm kind of at my wit's end here with Alfie and thought I'd pick your excellent brains on here!

Alfie had bit of a lump show up pussing and bleeding, thought it must've been another grass seed as he gets so many,thought it was out.

Anyway it didn't go so took him to the vet's. She found part of a grass seed and thought that would be the end of it.

Went for a check up and she had another look but found nothing else.

He was on a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds. It was sticking around so the vet's decided he would need to go under and have a little look.

He had that done and nothing more was found. Kept up the meds and bathing twice a day in salt water.

It's two weeks since his exploratory surgery and he still has a lump. The scabs are all healed now but he's left with a lump.

Cultures were done on the lump and no bacterias came back.

I'm pretty much lost for what to do now.

This wasn't there before he got the seed and she definitely got a seed out at first, so it's nothing else.

Any ideas?

2. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Jees that's long!!!

Also, full blood work was done pre surgery and all numbers were good, he's fully healthy and completely himself. Still running around everywhere and full of energy

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Sometimes, after an abscess has drained, the outer walls can remain hard, leaving a lump.

So long as your Vet has been thorough, (and it sounds as though he has), I wouldn't be too concerned.

Welcome back by the way, hope all is well with you?

4. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Hiya! Thanks, yeah all's good here, except this which is like a minor annoyance that just won't go away! Alfie is much the same as always and we're all well.
    Hope you and yours are all good.

That's good to hear. She's very on top of things and thorough too. She mentioned if it doesn't go away a possible biopsy, which we both think will be a waste of time and she also said she could possibly open it and stitch it back up, which she said she's not a fan of.

It's just so annoying because he's so fit and well for this to be what he's having to have possible surgeries for.

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It's stressful.

My Sister's horse stood on Rosie's paw last week. She's on antibiotics and painkillers, but it is looking as though one or more of her toes is broken, which means x-rays and likely surgery or six weeks rest for her.

I'm sure these little tykes are here to worry us. We worry more about them than ourselves, don't we?

Glad to hear Alfie is otherwise fit and well. How old is he now?

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

oh no, poor Rosie. Not sure how my dogs have avoided broken toes the amount of times they have been trodden on over the years. One dog had a kick in the head and was knocked out but that is the only serious one.

Rafa likes this.
  7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Thank you.

Fortunately, this horse isn't shod, but he's a 15 hand heavyweight Shire cross.

She's spent a lot of her life around horses, but this is the first accident we've had.

Blitz likes this.
  8. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

God, I hope she's ok, that must have been painful bless her. I hope everything goes ok with them healing. She must be brave!

Oh, I know, they're nothing but a worry!!! This feels like a brain itch, it's a smallish problem that just won't go away. It's not red and looking infected and he's fine, just annoying really.

He's 9, but he'll be 10 in January, which blows my mind, he still acts exactly the same as when he was a puppy!

Rafa likes this.
  9. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Were the ABs standard oral? The thing about abscesses is that they don't have a particularly good blood supply, and often they have a thick wall. This means that although the dose of ABs given orally is a good one, and the ABs chosen for such a task have good penetration ability, that usually one is assuming that the full dosage won't get to where they need to be. Depending on the abscess placement, and depending on your vet being open to thinking outside the box, topical ABs can often be a better choice for them.

However if the lump via FNA and lab growth has been proven not to be infectious, and it's now covered by healed skin, it could potentially be walled off scar tissue, a resulting cyst, or other things like that. What does the vet think?

10. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Yeah they are just oral antibiotics. No creams or anything but told to bathe it twice a day.

It's in the area just above his toes, I'll try to put a pic up, but I have no idea how to do it now, it's been so long!

She said she doesn't know going forward, we were hoping that the extended course would see it off, but there's still a lump. I was wondering about scar tissue perhaps.

He had the same thing a couple of years ago and she did the same then, pulled it out with forecepts while he was awake and it worked fine, but this time it's been more complicated.

11. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I just use the Upload a File button. :)

Great to see you back. :D

emmaviolet likes this.
  12. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Oh my gosh, can't believe I missed that button!
    I'll take one later and will upload it.

Thank you, good to 'see' you too! Hope you're all good!

LinznMilly likes this.
  13. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Ok, here's a quick picture of it. It's not red or an open wound or anything.

DSC_0037.JPG

14. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

And here's a quick photo of him in his first ever cone!

DSC_0015.JPG

15. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

16. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

So, he went back today. The vet said it looks a lot better, much smaller than it was, but there was a tiny bit of fluid still.

She's stopped antibiotics now, he's been on them a month.

She said keep bathing it in saltwater and put pressure on it if fluids are coming out.

In two weeks we'll speak but the next step is a CT scan to see if there's a bit lurking that they've missed.
    When he went in for the operation she searched and then asked another vet to have a look but they didn't find anything more. The only thing was the initial part of a grass seed.

I just want it gone but don't look know what to do.

17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

When you bathe it, put a teaspoon or two of bicarbonate of soda in the mix.

It has a very good 'drawing' effect.

18. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Will that help? I'll do anything to get this thing gone.

19. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If there is fluid, the bicarb should draw it out.

It certainly is worth a try.

emmaviolet likes this.
  20. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Thanks. I'll definitely give it a try.

It's much smaller and dryer. We're doing everything we can. Just keep going and keep my fingers crossed now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice