Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with our dog please.........

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by KateandCasper, Aug 15, 2009.

1. KateandCasper

KateandCasper PetForums Member

Hi all

We have just got a 4 yr old border collie x lab, he has been home a couple of days and seems to be settling in.

However, he follows me everywhere, literally, I stood up to turn on the light switch and he followed me there and back. He will only go in the garden if I go with him and stay there and when we go for a walk he gets so close I trip over him.

He doesnt seem paticularly nervous and will sit with others if Im not there but if Im around he is stuck to me like glue. I dont mind some of the time but how do I discourage him from being with me all the time? I want him to be able to play in the garden or have a lay down when he feels like it without worrying where I am.

Thanks guys x

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I assume he is a rescue?

Many will form very strong bonds with their new owners, probably out of fear of being left or abandoned again.

You could try getting a baby gate, and confining him to one room when you want to do things. Or even a dog cage/crate if you dont mind using such a thing.

Best thing to do is build up the amount of time you leave him alone. Start with 5 mins, if he is calm and quiet reward him. Do that a few times until he is happy with it, then increase the time.

If you dont get him used to being alone and slightly independant, he may develop seperation anxiety.

3. rona

rona Guest

Two days is not a long time for a dog to settle, he obviously is using you as a kind of safety blanket at the moment, if it carries on after two weeks when he is more settled in his new environment, then I agree with Nonnie, it will have to be dealt with before it becomes a habit.
    As he is willing to stay with others while you are not there, then I don't think it will become a big issue.
    Give him time to settle :)

4. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

This is also a trait of border collies, they stick to one person like glue. It's still very early days so he is probably just worried about losing you :)

5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

As collies do like to know where the boss ( dog ) is at all times this is one of the things you have to get use to. Once the dog gets to really trust you then they will settle down on their own. But the best thing about is when you go for a walk they hardly ever need to be called back to you as they never let you out of their sight.

6. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

He's probably wanting to make sure you don't disappear and leave him. He needs to build his confidence.

One thing a neighbour did with her rescue dog when it because clingy was put up a baby gate between 2 rooms, dog on one side, her on the other. The dog could see she was ok yet wasn't right beside her.

She also gave him a Kong to keep him busy and while he was playing with it she would get up and walk into other room. He didn't notice she had gone but she made sure he knew when she was back.

It worked for her. Slowly he learned that she could go away out of sight but would always come back.

7. KateandCasper

KateandCasper PetForums Member

Thanks everyone, I will try your tips! Ive been at work all day today and he has been fine with my husband but as soon as I got home he started following me around again!

I dont mind some of the time but want him to be independant too, hopefully it will come in time, I know 2 days isnt long but dont want it to become a habit.

8. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Great advice!

9. Yogi B

Yogi B PetForums Member

I have taken in rescues for many years now and on average I have seen the dogs take approximately 3 to 4 weeks before they feel comfortable enough to not want to be at your side at all times and are willing to venture out. As nonnie noted, this is a fear reaction of prior abandonment. You are the only common denominator between his previous life and the new one. The dog therefore is caring a natural fear of possible abandonment that needs time to subside. It is all in patience and love. Allowing for this and the time it takes for the dog to come around. Good luck with your new addition.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice