Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with night toilet training!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Spidermonkey, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey PetForums Newbie

hi,

We have been having problems with our staffy for over a year now (granted at the start our training was few and far between), the problem is her toileting.

we think she is aware that she should do it outside as when she is let out she goes for a wee and poop and we positively react to her (treats or verbally), but the thing is that in the morning you can guarantee that there will be wee and poop in her pen (blocked off area in kitchen), we then let her out ate she does her business looking at us for the treat. Also if she is left for a few hours instead of holding it (like our other dogs do) she just does it. Does anyone have any ideas why she is doing this and how to stop her? Also she eats poop (hers and the other dogs) if we do not clear it up in time, and help on this would also be great.

many thanks

2. tiny

tiny PetForums Member

hi spidermonkey. im not experienced enough to offer you advice but there is a great "sticky" at the top of the page on housetraining an older dog that you might want to read. good luck.

lanzarote oct 10 050.jpg

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Are all your dogs fed the same food? Would you say that she passes more motions than the others on the whole? Some dogs are allergic to certain things in the food, causing the food to pass through without being fully digested. Some are bulked out with fillers too, that doesnt have a lot of nutritional value, but just causes more waste. A lot of foods have wheat and maize in them that some dogs dont get on with. So depending what she food she has and whats in it, that might be worth looking at. Foods with listed ingrediants that are highly digestible with no added bulking agents, tend to be absorbed more and produce fewer, smaller stools. You need to look for high meat content, natural listed ingrediants and nothing artificial added. Also is all their worming up to date? If not that might also be something to consider too. As dogs with parasites, can tend to be hungry and are not getting all the nutritional value from their food either.

As regards to stopping them eating the poop, some people have said that adding pineapple or I think papya too to the food can make it unappealing.
    There is also something called Stool repel-um that you can buy and is said to do the same thing. As she eats the others too, in this case you would have to give it too all of them.

As regards to practical ways of coping with the night toileting, you could try setting an alarm and taking her out in the night as you would do with a pup when toilet training when they cant go through the whole night. Maybe a week or two of that, may get her out the habit of toileting indoors. Might be worth a try to see if it makes a difference.

Having a look at her diet and maybe chaging food, plus a crash course in night toileting and maybe adding something to the diets to stop the poops being enticing might be enough certainly worth a try.

If this doesnt work, the only other possible explanation as she does it when left for a few hours too, is that its behavioural, dogs can do it through being left and in cases of separation anxiety. Somethings that have been known to work with Sep Anx. are leaving a radio on a talking station, as the sound of voices can help. Leaving a old worn tshirt or jumper in their beds, as the familiar smell of the owner can help. DAP plug in diffusers have been also used
    its an artificail version of the dog appeasing pheromone that calms and soothes. Lastly, not making a big thing when you leave and return, can also help.

As regards to the urinating, Urinary tract infections can cause them to have accidents, but if it was this I would suspect that she would be having the accidents here and there all the time. If shes a spayed female they can get a bit of urinary incontinence, but again its usually things like leaking and spotting when they are asleep too and usually comes on in older spayed females more, although not totally unheard of in younger spayed bitches. This you can get medication for anyhow to help.

Hope this might give you some ideas and things that might be worth a try.

4. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I have a two year old staffie and have exactly the same issues, however we seem to have pinned it down to diet....it would appear she has a huge intollerance to any cereals, wheat maize anything like that found in most cheaper commercial dog foods, after 18months of swapping and changing her food, she started of on wagg, then chappie (FULL of wheat) then fish4dogs, JWB, a couple of cheap supermarket ones we settled on burns which seemed to work for a bit then she got another tummy bug and her toiletting got worse, so 10 days ago i took her totally off a commercial diet took all treats away (except the occasional fish4dogs treat as they have no cereals) and put her on a raw diet in 10 days we have had one accident which for Lexi i awsome, she also eats her own poop and other dogs poop, poop she finds out on walks, we think it might be dietary related, so at the minute we are trying to distract her with treats on walks and pick them up in the house, give her system time to detox and get out of the new diet what she needs and see if that helps.

It might be worth looking into diet as my vet has told me digestive system problems in staffs are becoming more and more common due to poor breeding.

5. Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful.

Lexilou2 what is your raw diet? what does it consist of? thinking of trying it with her.

thanks

6. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

A raw diet is exactly what it says on the tin, you feed them raw meat offal and bone....not for the faint hearted fowever seems to have worked miracles for my dog. They only thing i would recommend....do read up on it....if your staff is anything like mine then they gulp their food and when feeding raw bones it can cause issues, so you need to do your homework so you can teach them to eat bones properly, they need to break it down....the first time i gave Lexi a chicken leg she tried to swallow it whole :eek::eek::eek: would have NOT been good.
    If you go under the health and neutrition part of the forum there is a thread i started called raw feeding diary which i started on day one of raw feeding and have kept going today is day 11.
    Depending on what you feed at the minute it may work out more expensive or less expensive, for me it is cheaper by far but i was feeding burns which is quite expensive.
    The other down side is you need freezer space I'm lucky enough to have a spare freezer in the garage which has today become lexi food freezer.
    there is a lot of information on this forum about raw feeding and they are all very helpful...i knew nothing about it 3 weeks ago and today i seem to have a happy healthy dog who is pooing properly for the first time in her life.
    If you don't fancy it, a quite a few don't the idea of feeding raw meat and bone makes people nervous i would definately recommend you try your staff on a cereal free food, and possibly try adding probiotic yoghurt to their food, just a dessert spoon full once a day, it must be natural it can't be flavoured but all supermakets sell it i imagine we got a big tub of smart price for 64p all that does is help support the good bacteria in their stomach so if it is down to digestion problems it can help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice