Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with new dog and toddlers please!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lizzystar, Aug 13, 2009.

1. lizzystar

lizzystar PetForums Newbie

hello, hope you can offer me some advice

We got ourselves an 8 month old Staffie bitch from a foster home on a trial last night. Shes great once shes got over the initial jumping which we are discouraging and settles down.

I've got a 1 and 3 year old and she just wants to constantly jump up at them, lick and she is also 'mouthing' them but showing no sign of actually biting - it appears to be over excitidness, i am putting her in kitchen behind a stair gate when shes getting too excited.

What is the best way to deal with this as i'd like to give her the best chance to stay with us but now think we might need an older calmer dog!

She is also coming into her first season which i don't think is helping her temperament.

Please help!!

Liz

2. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

At 8 months she is still a puppy, full of energy and exuberance! She also needs time to settle in and learn the groundrules.

When she is jumping up completely ignore her. Only fuss her or give her treats when she has all four feet on the ground and instruct everyone else to do the same. I understand this is difficult with little children but praise her loads when she is calm around the children. If she becomes too boisterous around them, give her time out for a few minutes, then start again. Also, maybe a house line may help so you always have control of her around the children.

Basic training using positive reinforcement would help in establishing your authority in a kind way. Simple commands like 'sit', 'down', 'off' etc. At her age it should be easier to mould her into appropriate behaviour than an older dog who may have long established issues.

Good luck with her and give her a chance if you can...she will be worth it in the end. Staffies are such lovely family dogs.

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Hi i agree with the last post, getting an older rescue with young children i dont think is the right way to go you dont know the history, ok you dont know the history of this one but she is young and you can teach a "young dog old tricks," she, needs time to settle and with the right training will very soon keep within the boundaries you set, just be consistant in whatever you do.

4. lizzystar

lizzystar PetForums Newbie

Hi

Thanks for the help, she calmed down loads yesterday, have got a house line too which i am using with her halti collar as she is really calm with that on.

Shes really good out on lead too, fingers crossed it'll all work out!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice