Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with new cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by love&dlight, Apr 11, 2011.

1. love&dlight

love&dlight PetForums Junior

I got a new cat a week ago. She is 2yrs old. I put her in my room to settle and she has been under my bed for most the time since :confused: She will come out to eat and use litter tray. She will also come out for a fuss at night but other then that i dont see her:( My hubby has said to stop putting food in the room and make her come out for it. I did this and 2 days later she still did not come out so i put the food back in. Any ideas on what i can do for her. I dont like the idea of her staying in there too much longer :(

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

A week is not long,some cats take weeks/months to settle.If she wants to stay in the bedroom dont try to force her to come out.As long as she can venture out when she wants she will come round ,given time.You could go in the bedroom and just sit on the floor and read a newspaper/book quietly but out loud so that she gets used to your voice.Take a selection of treats with you and if she does venture out offer a treat.Just place it by her but not to closeto you.Curiousity usually gets the betteer of cats eventually.Good luck,and keep us updated to your progress.

3. love&dlight

Thank you :001_smile: I have been sat reading in the evenings but will start reading out now :001_smile: I had no idea it could take so long to get use to a new house :(. She is a Forest cat and very pretty :001_smile:

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

You could also try a Feliway plug in...

5. love&dlight

Whats one of them and what do's it do :001_smile:

6. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum....feliway plug ins look like the plug in air fresheners....except they contain cat pheremones which when secreted into the air..will calm a cat down and make it feel secure and happy hopefully.

I have used one when introducing my new kitten to my other kitten and found it worked.

They can be quite expensive to buy at vets or at Pets @ home around £30 so you are better buying them online ..for around £17

Good Luck x

7. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

This this is a sound bit of advice :)
    If you work during the day, leave the doors open for her to come out and have a sniff aorund of she wants to, in her own time. It takes pressure off her. I think she may also get stressed if you constantly watch over her, if she feels she has space to come out and do her own thing without feeling pressurised, it'll probably help. Sometimes the things we do which come natural as 'nurturing' for an animal, are percieved differently by the animals.

8. love&dlight

Thanks all. I went and got a plug in today :001_smile: Will give her more time now and leave doors open :)

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ah, you just wit and see....she will blossom now she is in a loving home! Whilst I agree with advise above not to overcrowd the cat....I would also suggest you stock up on some tempting dangly or waggly toys. Cats find these things irresistible and the most shy of of kitties can be tempted out of a hidey hole with a well-dangled toy....
    Trixie Feather Waggler Cat Toy: Great Deals on Cat Toys at zooplus
    Great deals on cat toys at zooplus: Cat Dangler Pole Bird with Genuine Feathers
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_toys/miscellaneous/trixie/13549

10. love&dlight

Good idea ill get some when im in pet shop. Iseem to spend a lot of time in the pet shop :001_smile:

11. love&dlight

Just to up date you all. Yesterday the cat cam out to the top step :D I also got lots of new toys today with cat nip in them :001_smile: Also cat bubbles so they should be fun :001_smile:Will let you know how it go's

12. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Sounds like you are doing everything right :) Just a lot of patience now, good luck xx

13. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Excellent news. How happy you must feel. Just keep being patient and you will soon get your reward in the form of a happy, confident cat who will give you lots of cuddles.

Well done. :D

14. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Took 3 weeks for my new one to venture out of "her room", another two weeks to get used to the rest of the house. Now, she is everywhere! :D

15. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

We had ours on 9th march from cpl, for about first week he hid under the bed when we came in, all you could see was his tail bombing up the stairs, then he'd sit on top of the arairs, then after a couple of days, he'd run half way up and stop and look at us, then hecd run to the 1st step, now we open the door and he comes running to us, being quit vocal, no doubt telling us off.

Give her time, she will come when she's ready, dont rush her, she will soon feel safe, and then she will stalk you. :eek:

16. Sparkles87

Sparkles87 PetForums Senior

Don't worry, you'll get there :)
    Cats can be fussy creatures can't they. Change is very stressful for them, but just like we would, she'll come round in time. William was a tiny kitten when he came here, but it took sooooo long for him to explore the house when we finally let him out of the living room. And even longer for him to feel confident in exploring it without me or OH. He was scared of what soon became his favourite toys for quite a while when he first came home, and only used a quarter of the living room. I think he was scared of the rest ;) She'll soon claim the entire house as her own and you'll be a devoted slave :D

17. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

Agree with all other posts-some excellent advice!!!!
    Youve only had her such a short while and she has had a lot to adjust to
    so
    just be patient and give her time and she will repay you 110% with love and cuddles
    Maureen

18. love&dlight

Another update. She will now call from the top of the stairs :D Ill stand at the bottem chatting to her. She will make a big fuss when i go up :001_smile:. She is daft as a brush as she rolls around the bed then falls of :blink: lol. Still a long way to go but i think things will work out :001_smile: Thanks for all the help given looks the the advice was right :001_smile:

19. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

So glad it's working out! :D

20. crumbles

crumbles PetForums Junior

Reading these posts, just remind me how amazing & beautiful cats are. Good luck with your new cat, it sounds like she's found herself a great home, where she'll be really happy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice