Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

HELP WITH MY CAT PLEASEEEEEEE

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Corey Randles, May 29, 2019.

1. Corey Randles

Corey Randles PetForums Newbie

Hello, right I am really worried about my cat she is 2 years of age and she has a sister also 2 they fight now and then not a lot but they went out one day came back and haven't stopped fighting since as soon as the white cat lays eyes on the black cat she just tries to kill her instantly theblack cat is petrified and am worried, I don't know if it means anything but my white cat is spraying but nothing coming out they both have had the scoop, please help as my partner wants to get rid of the white cat now. She use to attack her mum, she loves us and loves our baby she is constantly meowing for attention and it's driving me nuts BUT she's the most beautiful creature on the planet,

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d get her checked at the vet. She might be spraying because of a urine infection.

chillminx likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Corey Randles and welcome :)

I agree with Lurcherlad, your white cat may have a urine infection. The constant miaowing for attention could be because she is in pain. Cystitis and UTI's are very painful and can be caused by stress. Please have her checked by the vet a.s.a.p.

Both cats sound very stressed. It may be your white cat wants to be an only cat (you mentioned she used to attack her mum). If so it is going to be hard for her to get along with her sister. Cats are by nature solitary hunters and some cats just do not want to share their territory or resources with another cat, not even a sibling they have grown up with.

Many disagreements between cats who share a home are due to competition for resources. These are food, water, litter trays, scratch posts and scratch pads, cat beds, high up places to sit etc.

To reduce competition for food start feeding the cats from now on in separate spots at least 10 ft apart and out of sight of each other. This should be a permanent arrangement. Always feed the white cat first.

Do not allow the cats to share bowels or finish each other's leftovers. Ideally buy them each their own
    microchipped cat feeder, or at least buy the white cat one. (Amazon sells the feeders at cheapest price at present)

I advise you to keep both cats separate for now, they need a break from each other for at least a week, so their stress levels can calm down. Both cats will currently be very stressed from the squabbles and fights.

Then you will need to try and re-introduce them slowly. I advise buying a couple of Pet Remedy diffusers - we use these at the Shelter to help the cats get on. Put them in spots where your cats spend a lot of time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Remedy-Natural-Stress-Diffuser/dp/B0043QPL4W/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3RGPGMIQ4OZE6&keywords=pet+remedy+for+cats&qid=1559215800&s=gateway&sprefix=pet+remedy+for+cats,aps,132&sr=8-3

We also use Feliway Friends diffusers (contains synthetic copies of cat pheromones).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feliway-FR...ends+for+cats&qid=1559215910&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I would give the poor anxious black cat a course of Zylkene. It's a supplement which calms and relaxes the cat, it is not addictive and doesn't make them sleepy. I use it for one of my cats now and then. Give a course for a month. Open the capsule and add the powder to the cat's food. Cats don't mind the taste.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zylkene-Small-Natural-Calmer-Capsules/dp/B00PP1B8F0/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1TOILNUGBSBLJ&keywords=zylkene+75mg+for+cats&qid=1559216109&s=gateway&sprefix=zylkene,aps,141&sr=8-4

If things don't improve you may need to consider rehoming one of the cats. Perhaps the black cat would be easier to re-home than the white cat.

If you decide to re-home the white cat make sure she goes to a home where she will be an 'only' cat otherwise the same problems are likely to arise. A Shelter may be able to take one of them for rehoming. A Shelter will carry out a home check of any potential adopter, which you would not be able to do (unless you know the adopter personally).

Please do not advertise either cat on any website as "free to a good home" as it is likely that a free cat would fall into the wrong hands and e.g. possibly be used as dog bait.

#3 chillminx, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Bertie'sMum likes this.
  4. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

if they were reasonably friendly until their recent outing it may be a case of misdirected aggression - i.e. something happened whilst they were out, maybe a strange cat attacked them ? your white cat may, therefore be seeing her sister as a threat as they were together at the time. If that is the case then you may need to separate them for a while and use the kind of introduction techniques that you would use when introducing a new cat into a household. @chillminx has mentioned giving your black girl Zylkene - I think I'd be tempted to give it to both of them; to the white girl to calm her down so that she doesn't feel the constant need to attack her sister and to your black girl to ease her fear.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice