Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with my BabyBiorb

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by lottielou, Jul 24, 2009.

1. lottielou

lottielou PetForums Newbie

Hello, was hoping someone could help me!

I got a baby biorb last christmas, but the fish I got had some sort of louse-bug on them and they died pretty quickly before I could get rid of it :confused:

Ever since then it's been sitting empty, so I thought I should probably put it to good use! I've since moved about 3 times so the instructions are long gone!

I've put water in, put the chemicals in it comes with (I had to get a replacement bowl as it got smashed) and I've had the pump running a few days now. I've got to buy one of the sponge filter things.

However I've been looking on the net, and as far as I can gather I should also buy the grey rocks material that I got with it the first time round, long gone by now! Do I have to buy some more? If it needed, how long do I leave it in before I add fish?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

2. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

The grey rocks on the bottom of the tank are known as 'Alfagrog', this is very porous and has a high surface area for water penetration and biological filtration. I would highly recommend purchasing another bag of this filter media as it will form the aquarium's biological filtration.

All fish produce waste in the form of ammonia which is excreted via the gills and solid faeces, which also produces ammonia as it decomposes. Before you can add fish to the aquarium you will need to cycle the filter. The term 'cycling' relates to a process known as the nitrogen cycle. In fishkeeping terminology this is where a population of friendly bacteria that colonize the filter break down the ammonia produced by the fish into other nitrogenous waste substances known as nitrite and nitrate. Both ammonia and nitrite are highly toxic to fish, even in small concentrations. If you stocked the tank too soon then the ammonia and nitrite levels will soar, consequently the fish will die.

I have a beginner's guide to fishless cycling which can be found here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice