Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with my 6-7 weeks old kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by saxa21, Aug 4, 2009.

1. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Last Saturday I bought a 7 week old kitten from a pet shop.It looks much smaller than 7 weeks (i think). I think the pet shop people just wanted the money!!! I'm nowist when it comes to cats. In the pet shop they put Johnsons Herbal Flea Drops on him before I brought him home, and I got the packet. I read on it that a kitten under 8 weeks shouldnt be treated. I observed my kitten and he did not show any signs of poisoning etc (fine today Tuesday 4th August - deflead on Saturday). However these drops didnt help as he is ridden with fleas. Not too much I guess but there is loads of black droppings near his neck and tail. What else can I use on him. I've also ordered flea comb.

Also he was dewormed with Johnson's Kitten Easy Worm Syrup (which says it can be used on kittens from 2 weeks). Not sure if it works, how long until he'll be free of worms. I'm not sure if he's got them but his belly looks quite big.

Can you please give me some hints / advise on how to look after him. We are going to the vet on Saturday to have him fully checked.

When it comes to food, he's constantly hungry! He eats like a horse. I'm feeding him whiskas wet food pouches (1 or 1 and a half packets), which he loves. I also give him whiskas milk for kittens over 6 weeks. I've observed that his poo is soft but not very watery. Today his poo was more watery than before.What his poo should look like? Do i feed him too much? But if I decrease his food he just wants more and keeps going to his bowl. My friend recommended to use Royal Canin Babycat food, which I've just ordered.

2. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

ok i leave biscuits down all the time so he can eat when ever he feels hungry then i feed wet food pouches twice a day.

Sadly pet shop kittens like puppies are normally ill. i would buy some front line to flea the kitten adn stuff for your carpets etc to kill and eggs etc in the carpets. and get your vet to worm him.

good luck

3. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Many thanks, I do worry as I never had a kitten before. I used to be a dog lady.

Also does anyone know why he likes to sit on my lap and purr while licking my dressing gown? he seems to enjoy it.

4. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

My cat still sits on my lap licking/suckling my clothes and kneading me with his paws....It's a comfort thing for them like they did with their mums and makes them feel content. My cat is over a year old now....I find it quite cute ;) :D

As for worming and defleaing i totally agree with the Candysmum's post. :D

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

In regards to flea and worm treatment, id have a word with your vet. Tell then what he has had, and they should be able to prescribe something that is suitable.

Johnsons and Bob Martins are crap, as are a large majority of petshop treatments.

Have you booked him in for his jabs yet?

6. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

One of my cats is six years old & still "sucks". Sometimes it's because they've been taken from their mums too early & it's a soothing thing to them, othertimes it can just be a relaxing thing. If I've got anything on made of cotton jersey, Tilly lovely to suck/gently chew it, purrs & paddles. I hate the wet patches, but haven't the heart to stop her she loves it so much! Some cats love to eat woollen things too!

Re the eating, I agree, keep some kitten biscuits down all the time, though some don't take to them as they can be a bit hard on their tiny mouths. Food intake can go up & down with kittens - when they have growth spurts they eat more. Your vet will be able to advise you properly re fleas & worming & should be able to more acurately determine his age. An alternative to cat milk is diluted evaporated milk - you can mix it with warm water & gradually add more water as he gets older until he's drinking just water. You can also mix the diluted evap in his food - sounds gross to us, but they like it. You could try soaking some kitten biscuits in it a bit too to soften them.

If he's got a swollen belly & is eating a lot, he could still have worms - the vet will give you something to get rid of them appropriate to his age.

Have fun with your new kitten :D

7. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi just to add a kitten that age should be eating about 5 times a day and sometimes too much cat milk can make their poo runny :) good luck

8. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

another little tip for killing the majority of the fleas.. give your kitten a bath and use baby shampoo, lather it up avoiding the eyes and mouth and leave it on as long as you can (about a minute is best) some live fleas will run onto the non wet areas and you can drown them in vinegar if you have a lil bowl beside you then rinse off your kitty and the vast majority of fleas will be dead, you may have a grumpy kitten for a little while but it does work

9. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Thank you very much for all the replies.

Heniu is booked to see the vet on Saturday. Once he determines his age I'd be able to book him in for all necessary injections. Also I'll see what the vet says in terms of worms and fleas. Will have to wait until Saturday :( as I dont want to harm him in any way.

As per his poo, unfortunately is still runny :( I let him have Iams kitten dried food for kittens from 4 weeks and wont give him the wet pouches. Need to see if he gets better today. Once I come home from work I'll check his litter tray and see if there is any improvement.

Overall he is very lively kitten :) Jumps everywhere and follows me wherever I go. He loves his scratching post as well as his sisal balls. Loves licking and purrs all the time kneading my clothes.

HAVING A KITTEN IS SO MUCH JOY, HE MADE ME WANT TO COME HOME EVERYDAY :)

10. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Can you tell me which biscuits will be the best for him? He as I mentioned might be 6-7 weeks max

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Personally if he has the runs dried food is not what he wants as the runs will be making him dehydrated and dry food doesn't give him any water. It is porbably the stress of the move and new food that is upsetting his stomach. I would cook him some chicken breast and just give him that until his poos firm up. Then very slowly reintroduce a good quality food (whiskas only has 4% meat and the rest is fillers most of which aren't good for a cat) so something like Hi-life, Natures Menu the pets at home own brand i can't remember the name of, all of which are 50%+ meat content.

If you want to give him dry make sure it is a very good quality one, especially for boys, as they can be prone to crystals in their longer urethra. So no go-cat, or whiskas, or felix. Try James Welbeloved, or Orijen, or Aplaws dry (others can help you more on this as I don't really 'do' dry food) ALso make sure he always has fresh water - I have found a water fountain to be invaluable in making sure my cats drink. If you wanted you could also feed raw.

12. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hi
    my vet precribes stronghold for my cat even as a kitten it does everything worms earmites fleas the lot. i am feeding hills science natures best and royal canin as the breeder of the new kitten from recomends these

viv xx

13. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

The Royal Canin would be fine, as would the little Applaws chicken ones, think Science plan are okay, Burns, the choice is yours, I chose Royal Canin as they are nice and little for them to chew on and my other cat likes them so they were the obvious choice.

One of my cats refuses them completely. Hungry or not. :rolleyes:

14. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

We got Mickey at about the same age and he had very runny poo. We put him on James Wellbeloved kitten dry food as it is very bland. It took a few days but it slowly passed and then we gradually introduced wet food to his diet although he still prefers JW.

I would add that you should keep an eye on your kitten and make sure he is drinking enough, they can become dehydrated very quickly when they are babies which I am sure you are aware is fatal. If you are in any doubt or feel it is not getting any better then try and get him to the vet sooner.

15. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

I don't believe in feeding dry either, water is a good idea, but if the vet thinks your kitty is younger they may suggest a formular milk mix, as kitty may have been taken away from suckling too early, don't like the sound of whiskers either, start kitty off with a good diet you will see benefits in the future, mine is on raw, it was a bit of a hassle at the begining, but I've got the hang of it now.
    whiskers meat is a low percentage, keep away from cerial based food.
    Mine has a water fountain, mind you he still does milk the tap at times.
    Make sure you have a list of questions to ask before you visit the vet.
    Poor lil mite, good luck to you.

16. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

my kitten is on royal canin 36 biscuits and royal canin, felix, applaws pouches.

Are his poos smell really smelly as in making you gag smelly it may be worth seeing if he has TF. (Tritrichomonas foetus) I dont know much about it but i know a breeder that does.

it is treatable just a thought.

17. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Many Thanks for your advice. I bought him Canin dry food and Babycat food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice