Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Help with lonely ferret?

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by Veracem, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Veracem

Veracem PetForums Newbie

Monday we said goodbye to one of our ferrets

I know it's earlier days but our only remaining ferret seems to be taking it hard, she's sleeping a lot more and only eating a little bit

I don't know how likely finding her a new friend would be

she's had 2 attempts with 3 other ferrets but all she does is attack them
    The first one (a 2 year old girl) she wasn't bothered by (until it started fighting with her original cage mate)

The send 2 less than a year old boys she hated, to the point they were scared of her and she'd scale your leg just to attack them (All 3 were rehomed to a ferret rescue just fine, the female originally coming from that rescue)

I don't think she can ever find a new cagemate but does anyone have any tips to help her get out of her funk? how long do ferrets tend to grieve?

Is there anything warning signs I should look out and should I try finding her mate now she's on her own? Or will she likely take a disliking to the other as well

2. Shady

Shady PetForums Member

I don't have much expertise in this area, but I do have some. My boy that died in August was the last one of a business of five. About 2 years previous to his death, his brother died very suddenly under anaesthetic and was left alone. It broke my heart because for days, maybe even weeks, he would just run around the room frantically trying to find his brother (I had even let Spike (the remaining ferret) see his dead brother but it didn't seem to help). I was torn, just like yourself, should I get another? But he was old, and after some time he started to act more like himself and so I didn't get another. I guess you've got to make sure you spend a little more time with your remaining ferret. It may be that she simply wont bond with another. You've got to do right by her at the end of the day, and if another ferret is causing distress then maybe it isn't the way to go. Give her lots and lots of love and play time. You are part of her business as well :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice