Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

help with Labrador diet?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LabLover26, Oct 17, 2013.

1. LabLover26

LabLover26 PetForums Newbie

I have a Labrador that is currently 7 years old. I first got him when he was 5, and at this time he was on a not so good diet (Wagg) He seemed fine on it, but he has dry skin, and his coat isn't the best. In the past year i've been researching different dog foods and have found his coat condition could be because of the food he has been on (Wagg) so I've been trying to find him a better diet, but despite all the research, I still seem to be just as clueless as to what would be best!

I've been looking into Lily's kitchen (wet food) and i like the sound of it. (opinions?) Would this have any effect on him, because he's been on dry food his whole life? (i'm aware of the process of changing the food gradually)

Because Lily's kitchen is rather pricey, and i'm slightly concerned about him being on a complete wet food diet, I've been thinking about mixing, possibly half Lily's kitchen, and half Eden dry.

He weighs 38kg (yes he is very large, but the vet said his weight is fine)
    so was thinking 440grams of Lily's Kitchen and 200 grams of Eden dry, daily?
    (Am i right in just halving each daily recommended amount, I honestly have no idea!)

Any help would be very very appropriated as I just want to get him on a good food finally!

Any other recommended foods?

Thanks!

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Have you seen the food indexes at the top of this section? :)

There should be no problem changing from dry to wet food. I feed a bit of both, though meals are all wet and treats are dry :D

With the quantities, you'll just have to keep a close eye on the weight for the first few months and adjust as necessary.

He does sound like a big boy. Have we any pictures? :)

3. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Welcome to the forum :)

I have heard good things about lilys kitchen but yes its pricey.

I feed my dog raw for about £20 a month :)
    Gorgeous coat, bright teeth, no trumps, no smelly dog breath, small virtually odourless poo :)

4. porchpotty

porchpotty PetForums Member

I'd recommend feeding raw. It works wonders on your dog's overall health and well-being.

5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

If hes been on dry I would stick with that have a look at Simpsons or Vets kitchen. His coat is dry because the Wagg lacks Omega 3 which is good for dogs coats.etc: Don't go for a dry that is to rich as this could upset his tum.

6. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

How do you manage that? I worked out for Pippa it would be £1+ a day.

7. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It depends entirely on where you source your food from - I feed my five who eat over six kilos of raw between them per day - for circa £30 a month.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice