Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with injured cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by reallytinyamy, Jun 23, 2010.

1. reallytinyamy

reallytinyamy PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone here can help. I am mum to 5 beautiful cats. Unfortunately one of them, Tigger, was hit by a car on monday. He was amazing, I found him on the door step when I got home from work, he had managed to drag himself hundreds of yards to get home.

He has been at the vets since then, it looks like he has fractured his pelvis, he also has not been to the toilet since, which is obviously a worry. They are talking about him coming home this afternoon. He is getting very stressed in the hospital and they think the stress could be playing a part in him not urinating so being at home could help. we are getting him a cage to live in for a few weeks while his pelvis heals.

Obviously we know he is not out of the woods yet, if he can't urinate then he has probems...

I don't know what I'm looking for here really, maybe just someone who has been through similar, ideas about caring for him, his chances of survival etc

Thanks

Amy

2. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

I am sorry to hear about this - it is horrible ... I was in this situation last October/november with my cat scarfy - see my threads on here. Same problem, pelvis/spine fracture, no urination - it took scarfy a week to urinate and with a lot of laxatives eventually she poo'd ...

It was the whole crux of the matter whether she could toilet or not as to her survival, but she did and has come out of it minus a tail (that may be an option for you) and very dodgy walk but still full of cat energy.

Read my threads on Scarfy it might help with your situation.

This morning another of my cats was knocked down too, but he just has a broken leg, not so serious, but is at the vets now having xray and a check up so hopefully he will be home tomorrow.

PM me if you want any further advice.

C x

3. reallytinyamy

thank you very much, that does make me feel a little better. can I just asked how you managed the lack of urnation problem

4. PembrokeMadhouse

Scarfy stayed at the vets for about 4 days, and the vet manipulated her bladder (if that's what you call it) so she wasn't over full... One day they came in and found her all wet underneath and decided she had wet herself which was great news.... Your vet should be able to do this for you, or in some case he may be prepared to show you how to do it ... I was lucky that Scarf did it herself, but the poos required a lot of laxative.

Don't give up hope x

5. reallytinyamy

The vets sedated him yesterday and manipulated his bladder as it was full. I think they are proposing that for the time being he comes home at night but spends a few hours at the vet a day. The main problem is they will have to sedate him every time they do it (which we can't afford), he is having none of it and biting them and they are now complaining about it. They did say that the lack of poo is less of a worry, especially as he isnt eating

6. PembrokeMadhouse

Ah ... my scarfy didn't need sedation - thats why I chose to save her, she is special special cat.

You could ask them to teach you to do it he may be more inclined to let you do it ... it might still be very painful in that area - Scarfy was on high dose Metacam for a good 2 weeks.

It is just a waiting game - that area is probably so swollen and painful, it will take a while for the swelling to go down, then he might start urinating.

Scarfy lost her tail as the vet thought due to her injuries it was putting too much pressure on the bladder/spine and it was better to remove it. That was her turning point, she stood up and tried to get onto everyones shoulders .... it was another day before she wee'd. That's a suggestion.

C X

7. reallytinyamy

thanks, I hope they can do something, waiting for them to ring with an update after an examination this afternoon...praying he will have a wee today. They are not keen on us expresing his urine, although I know he will tolerate far better form us. My head tells me we need to let him go in all honesty, but my heart doesn't agree!

8. PembrokeMadhouse

My head told me that ... let her go, let her go ... but my heart kept giving her just one more day, just one more day. Scarfy is a nuzzler, and I knew the minute she nuzzled me when I left her at the surgery I had to do as much as I could... I did set a financial budget to draw a line.

How is the cat in himself - is it tigger, or is a very traumatised unhappy cat ... if you can see Tigger in there, there's hope.

Many won't agree with me, but finances do matter in this instance and you mustn't overstretch yourself financially. If the vet hasn't actually mentioned the words Put To Sleep, then you are in with a chance. I don't honestly think he would let the cat go home if he thought the cat might die.

Ultimately it is your decision and a hard one at that ... you need to go and see Tigger and see how he is in himself. It is still very early days since the accident, I would give him until at least over the weekend... if you can see Tigger that is.

Hope that makes sense.

C X

9. reallytinyamy

yes that makes sense, Tigger was still there the second I found him, was Tigger the way he managed to drag himself back to the house and shelter for god knows how long, see I think he did that, HE didn't give up, he wanted to survive, he knew he could......

Even when I speak to the vet on the phone what they tell me is typical Tigger.

the vet wash pushing to get him home in the next couple of days, we only live 10 mins from the vet so its not so bad, we can get him back there sharpish if needs be, I think if they say this afternoon we should bring him home and see if he reponds better we have to do it, we can always take him back if we need to.

then, like you say, we can't afford many more over night stays, we are not financially well off, in fact we have vitually nothing. The RSPCA have donated £100 towards his treatment which has been a huge help, but we can't afford to go on much longer.......we just keep praying

10. PembrokeMadhouse

Awwww ... I can understand the financial side of things... Scarfy cost me £283 - the best £280 pound I ever spent! It went on the credit card, and I'm still paying it off ! Ask the vet if you can pay him in bits ... they might be willing x

Give him some more time .... Make sure when he's home he is in a cage, and warm (a bottle wrapped in a towel) and cover him up ... and leave him except to feed - if you can get a litter tray in the cage for him, then great.

I kept scarfy in my bedroom so I could check on her movements and stuff in the night.

If you haven't got a cage I am sure the vet would have one they could lend you.

Good luck and PM me with questions - I am out tonight working for my sins .... but will catch up when I get home

C x

11. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about Tigger :( he sounds like a real fighter though. The vet may give you some meds to make him relax & then hopefully pee one of ours is a stone/crystal former & our vet gave us some diazepam in case he has another blockage but he's been ok for a few years now on his pills & food :)

Hope he's home soon & issueing orders from the crate :D been there done that with our old MC who broke his leg in the house :eek: 6 weeks of nagging :rolleyes:

12. reallytinyamy

thank you very much for the concern and advice both of you.

We brought Tigger home at 6:30 this evening. By 7:30 he had pee'd so tears of joy here- I know he has a long way to go still but now he has done that we feel so much better.

He is back at the vet tomorrow for some jabs and he has pain killers to take at home but the signs are good- he is also weight bearing for brief periods on both legs so happiness here tonight. Fingers crossed he continues!

13. Dally Banjo

:thumbup: great news :)

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

That's great news! Who would have thought that the sight of a cat weeing could bring so much joy!

Of course, fingers are firmly crossed! :thumbup:

15. PembrokeMadhouse

I know how much joy a cat going to the toilet can bring .... Wonderful news to you and Tigger ... make sure he does his cage rest though. C x

16. reallytinyamy

we have poo today too!!!!!!! staying in his cage for 6 weeks no matter how much he complains!

Looking good though!

17. Dally Banjo

:thumbup: great news :D

18. PembrokeMadhouse

Oh that's wonderful news - I am so pleased for you. Only this morning my Scarf was chasing the early morning butterflies so he will recover ... he might be quite placid in the cage for the first week or two, then the night mare will begin for your ears ! lol!

19. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Sooo glad Tigger is a little better. Keep us updated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice