Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with ideal dog food?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dontaskjess, Sep 9, 2018.

1. dontaskjess

dontaskjess PetForums Newbie

Hi, I know there are forums on wet/dry/raw dog food, but I would like a more personalised opinion if that’s ok :).

My 9 month old Labrador is currently eating Royal Canin food but he has recently gone off the food and would not complete his meal. This morning we added some warm water to his food and he gobbled it straight up.

So the questions I have are:

Do you think I should change the food he’s on if he only likes it wet to something he might prefer even more?

What wet foods are a good brand within a reasonable price range if I should swap? I’m currently spending £40 at least a month (sometimes £80 if we have to buy another bag within the same month) and I would like to stay around the £40 price range per month.

If switching his food, would it be better to start introducing the new food as a topper to his usual food?

What other advice would you give?

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

I soak my dogs' meals anyways, so I wouldn't necessarily use having yo make it soggy for a reason to change.
    Is he otherwise doing well on Royal Canin?

Have a look at things like Millies Wolfheart, Wainwrights, Purizon, Guru, Wolf of Wilderness, Lukullus etc. They are all around £30 - £40 a bag.
    Or, have a play around on allaboutdogfood.co.uk to find something that suits your budget and preferences. When it comes down to it though, you need something that suits your dog, even if that is a cheaper food.

With changing foods, its usually reconmended to do it over a few days to a week, gradually increasing the new food while reducing the old one. Rough example;
    Day one: 75:25 old:new
    Day three: 50:50
    Day five: 25:75

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Royal canin isn't a great food - i think im right in saying it is owned by Mars and they invest a lot of money in getting breeders to start pups on it.

Is your lab losing weight on canin though? I personally feel dogs will normally eat to their appetite and if you start searching for foods your dog wolfs down, you will have a dog that is soon piling on the pounds.

It's really no big deal for most dogs to eat more some days than others.

So first advice is get your dog weighed on the vet scales. If all is fine, i wouldn't rush to change to a wet food. Labs are notoriously greedy dogs, and if you get your dog neutered in future its need for calories will decrease so a dog that is not too greedy is a good thing.

There are many better foods on the market than canin. I don't feed wet so others will advise there.

Good dry foods would be orijen, acana, millies wolfheart, canagan, eden.

My dogs are on natural dog food company food which is good but not best as they can't tolerate the foods listed above. So you do have to choose what is right for your own dog.

Canagan do their food in tins too as a wet food.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Wet/dry/raw dog food is your choice. I give mine dry, I feed Dillon on Vets Kitchen he loves it a fairly good food and it's not that expensive £12 for 3 kilos from Sainsbury's it's on offer at the moment £10.50

Lurcherlad and tabelmabel like this.
  5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Yes - vet's kitchen is another excellent food. And very palatable!

6. danielled

danielled Guest

Lilly’s kitchen is good. I introduced my boy to it well never seen him so eager to be fed. I’ll tell you something else too, he hasn’t itched on it either which makes me think about the food we were getting him.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Bella F

Bella F PetForums Junior

I would definitely look to change from Royal Canin, especially as he’s not enjoying it.

Wet food tends to be more expensive-though do remember that as he’s still a puppy you’ll actually be feeding more at the moment-as he stops growing and reaches his adult weight you’ll end up feeding a bit less.

For wet food I’d recommend Forthglade-the ingredients are excellent for the price.
    However another type to consider might be cold pressed. This is a dry food that doesn’t swell up like extruded kibble and manufacturers such as Guru actually recommend soaking and making it into a paste for a change for your dog. Guru seems to be well received by even fussy dogs and the way it breaks down rather than swells is better for your dog’s tummy.

There’s a cheaper brand of cold pressed, Markus Mueller, that you can get online from Zooplus that’s meant to be very good too.

8. tantrumbean

tantrumbean PetForums Senior

Mine are all on Akela Whole Prey 80:20, loving it and doing really well. It works out cheaper than it looks, because the feeding quantities are tiny. A 10kg bag lasts my 15kg collie about 3 months, so can't moan. There's a 5% discount code available if you fancy trying it, with another 5% donated to rescue

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d look on allaboutdogfoods for comparisons as they give marks out of 5 for cost, quality, etc. as well as cost comparisons.

For example RC’s giant junior rating is 2.5/97p per day compared to Vet’s Kitchen 4.2/64p per day.

My lurcher prefers wet for breakfast so I feed Butchers Simply Gentle alongside VK. Both are wheat free too which some dogs are better with. VK when soaked doesn’t expand very much in the bowl which I assume means it won’t in the stomach either which again can cause problems.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on it, but you might find something that he enjoys and is better quality for less money ;)

Introduce it gradually though to avoid tum upsets.

danielled and Torin. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice