Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with husky x

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Echo Daz, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Echo Daz

Echo Daz PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone just need advice my husky x echo is 2yrs old she has a crate that she only uses as a bed its never locked my friend put his hand in when she was in there and she went to bite him she knows him really well so it's not like he a stranger. I have also problems when people come in house and she jumps up at them and keeps putting hand in her mouth people are saying she to old to be trained and she will only get worse is this true as I love her and really don't want this to continue incase she hurts my little boy when he comes to stay

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

A good rule of thumb is that when a dog is in their bed you don't disturb them. This is a 'basic manners around dogs' thing people teach their children, and it sounds like your friend could do with learning it too.

With regards to jumping up and mouthing at visitors, that sounds like overexcitement. 2yrs old is absolutely not too old to train - you can train dogs of any age! First things first though, I would manage it so that it's physically impossible for her to continue with that behaviour. So things like having her on a house line, limiting her interaction with visitors using baby gates, getting visitors to ignore her with the above until she's calm, giving her other things to do like really good chews when visitors are around (chewing is calming). You could also look at training incompatible behaviours too, that is teaching a thing whereby she physically can't do the behaviour you don't want when she's doing the thing you do want. A common one for jumping up is teaching a sit in those situations; if you reward the sit she physically can't get that reward while she's jumping up. But I wouldn't only do that as it'll be too hard for her to start with, so use management techniques too.

3. Sunflower_

Sunflower_ PetForums Newbie

Is she very hyper and often overly excited? What kind of exercise does she get?

4. mrs phas

mrs phas take a chill pill and reeelaaax

how would you like it if when you were fast asleep some semi stranger came in and tousled your hair
    bet youd be a bit snappy to
    as for the taking of visitors hands, my friends husky, who i saw every day, always used to, very softly, take my hand in her mouth and lead me to where ever he was. made me jump a couple of times at first, but then i, and he, read an article where it said huskys are that kind of dog, they like to show visitors around, shes been gone 4 years, i really miss her greeting
    my besties dog is a gsdxhusky and what we've taught him to do, is go fetch a toy, so his excitement about a visitor arriving and need to mouth is curtailed, so now he brings a toy to the person, presents until they take it and then will accept a calm ruffle of his hair

#4 mrs phas, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Lurcherlad, SusieRainbow and JoanneF like this.
  5. Echo Daz

Echo Daz PetForums Newbie

Thank you loads advice is very useful I will try this straight away

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice