Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with fussy dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by alexanorris, May 30, 2017.

1. alexanorris

alexanorris PetForums Newbie

My dogs have always been on wet food but as one of them has allergies I've changed over to csj as it's the only decent dry food that I can afford. Problem is, they're really fussy. I was sent samples and they seemed to love it so I ordered a 15kg bag and for the first 2 days they ate it no problem but now both are completely refusing to eat it.

I've tried boiling some liver and mixing the juices with it, I've poured chicken broth over it but they're not interested.

Do I just take the food away if they don't eat it and try again with the next meal? I really can't afford to go and buy another bag of food.

I just feel so guilty leaving them to go to bed without having eaten anything.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. LittleKrystal

LittleKrystal PetForums Junior

If there's nothing wrong with your dogs and they're just being fussy then you can definitely get them out of that habit. When they don't eat, you change food or add something else yummy in the food then they'll quickly learn that by not eating they'll get something better and they'll keep doing it till they get something they like. Just put the food down (with no added extras) leave it for 20-30mins, then take it away. Offer the same thing at the next meal time. If you can hold back and not give any treats in between it'll help speed this up.

However, if you're worried that they're unwell, then get them checked up else go the tough love route.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice