Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by webmonkeyuk, Jun 7, 2010.

1. webmonkeyuk

webmonkeyuk PetForums Junior

Right we have had jess for 7 months now (Border collie) and these last few months have been getting worse with her eating habits, when we first got her the breader said feed her on Wag and she gave us a starter pack to use so we kept her on that but we noticed it gave her the runs on and off most the time so after a few months we decided to vist it a local pet dietitian who said james welbeloved-lamb and rice kibble and keep her on lamb & rice for her life, well the first time we gave her this she wolfed it down as she did with the wag and her poo's were alot better but after a few weeks of this she gradually began to stop eating it and would run from it. the only way she would eat it was to put grated cheese on it but now this method has started to fail.

I thought id try a different make as to be fair to jess the welbeloved stuff stinks! i dont blame her from running from it :lol: anyway i bought a small pack of purina beta lamb & rice well she had a bit of it but she doesnt wolf it down the food can be there most the day and shes not bothered. she eats titbits fine and she is fit and healthy as far as i can tell its just she does seem to have better poo's on her dog food's if we give her to much of our food it can give her sloppy poo's now and then. people ive asked say that if a dog is hungry it will eat in the end but i dont like the idea of jess going a day with out food. am i been worried over nothing or is there anything else i can try?

2. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

Our puppy has been the same in recent weeks (he is 6 months old).

I did some investigations and found that teething can cause a puppy to have an up/down appetite. Also we found Monty is quite fussy, we have changed his food loads. He likes change and I think gets bored being left on one type of food.

We use a mix of dry and wet.

The best way to get them to eat, which we have been told by vets/books etc and by trying it, is the 10 minute rule - that we adapted to 20 minutes.

Basically feed them as normal, give them a set time limit to eat (we tend to allow Monty 20 minutes). If he hasn't eaten, we remove the food. It is hard but they soon learn to eat what is in front of them, and trust me, they won't starve!

We then find come dinner time, he eats it all happily.

Also we have found with the recent hot weather, that Monty preferred to eat when it was cooler, so we adjusted to that as well.

So stay strong, as your pup is eating treats etc then there isn't anything medically wrong. Only if they stop eating or are being sick etc, then take to vet. Otherwise try the above, and see if it works.

We have decided to stick to a certain brand of biscuits and wet food mix, and if he turns his nose up, he has to wait until dinnertime.

We think part of his fussiness is us giving him tidbits of our dinner leftovers, so now he waits for that instead. So that no longer happens!

We find he eats better that way.

3. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Basically you need to pick a food and stick to it. The dog is waiting for something better, first the grated cheese, now that's not working she's waiting for you to add something else yummy, because she knows if she doesn't eat what you put down, you'll add something. She's pushing her luck basically lol.

Thing to do is settle on a food (I'm not a fan of JWB, but if it's working...), maybe mix in some wet food, but only do this if you intend to do it all the time. Not cheese as dairy isn't great for dogs at all. Something like a bit of nature diet, weinwrights or try adding a little warm water to bring out the smell.

When it's meal time, put the food down, leave it for fifteen minutes with a quick reminder to the dog half way through, if it's not eaten, take it up and don't give anything else till next meal time. No treats, no table scraps, nothing. Next meal time do the same, down for 15 minutes, if it's not eaten, take it up.

She might not eat all day, but she'll be perfectly fine and if you keep giving in you'll end up spending a lot of money on wasted dog food. Give the vet a call, this is what he advised me to do when mine was doing this, a lot of other on the forum have done it too.

Mine did the same at around that age, he missed a total of three meals before he realised he wasn't getting anything else. He's never missed a meal since.

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I do tend to agree with Lyceum here.Try and find a food and stick with it.I know it seems really harsh,but its not,and your dog wont starve (unless its poorly).It will eat when its hungry.But all the time you are providing a choice,your dog will continue to be fussy.:)

5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I do think collies can be a bit fussy at times my were but they are now on Fish4dogs the salmon/potato with a bit of the salmon mousse mixed in and in no time its gone. I would also try the picking it up of the floor method as well.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I find this a v difficult one to answer as have been there myself. I agree with sticking to one food. I did the same as you and ended up with my pup having a v poorly tum and no choice but to put her back on the food she was used to.

However, I spent all her puppy months trying to get her to eat it. If I picked it up after a mealtime, she saw that as me giving attention to her hunger strike and held out even longer. The only thing that worked was putting down her RDA in the morning and leaving it until it was gone. Some days she ate most of it as treats while we were out.

As soon as I could put her onto adult I tried a different tactic. Instead of getting what I felt was best I could afford, I dwindled it down to 3. Got samples of each and let her choose. She didnt choose the one I wanted her to, in fact the one I thought least likely was her preference and we havent looked back. I changed her over v gradually and she has never gone on hunger strike.

I think - to a degree, they have to like what you are trying to get them to eat. How you know if it's genuine or not, I dont know. Heidi could have simply grown out of it - I will never know.

Good luck and I hope you manage to sort something that works v soon :thumbup:

7. webmonkeyuk

guys she was on the james wellbeloved for about 4 months before i had to try her with cheese when she wasnt eating much of that i thought its a waste me paying almost £50 for something she didnt like so i thought id buy a different brand now shes been on this beta stuff for almost 2 weeks now and a week without cheese on that, when i first got her i did some reading about meal times and some people say put the food down in the morning and then move it after say 15 min and then the same at night which i did but then i just started leaving it at her food drink area all day and it made no difference for her as she only eats when she wants to. just lately shes started to pick the food up run into the room and drop it then sort of dance around it like its play time:) its really funny to watch but seems really strange. i sort of have a idea on why shes not eating as much of her food and its the rest of the family giving her titbits which i think is part of the problem.

She doesnt get alot of my food but mam dad and bro tend to give her little bits of there stuff so she probley thinks i will not eat my stuff and wait till i get something more tasty of them. So my second question is, is it ok to give a dog some of your food? i do tend to treat her once a week with scrambled egg (which she loves) or i get some Turkey breasts and dice and cook them for her. is that ok for a dog too? i am going to keep her on this purina brand as shes ok on it and im going to go back to picking it up to see if that helps.

Thanx for the advice sofar guys

8. webmonkeyuk

forgot to say also should i put her back on the james welbeloved or just stick to the purina stuff, im asking as ive seen some reviews about the purina stuff and it wasnt that good

9. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I personally would ask collie owners on here,what they are using,or have another look into other foods,similar to what you are used to using,because im not a fan of either of the foods,there are lots of good foods out there at a similar price.:)

10. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Not when she's not eating her own in favour of it.

I'm not a fan of purina or JWB. But of the two 'd stick with JWB.

Maybe try her on a wet diet instead of dry? Or try adding a bit of wet to her food to make it tasty for her, some dogs don't like dry on its own. And you really do need to be firm with others giving her treats and other bits of food, tell them they just need to stop it for a few weeks until you get her eating sorted. They're not doing the dog or you any good. Whilst those other options are available you're never going to get her to eat the food you buy, she may eat it for a few weeks, but then you'll be out buying something else again.

Make sure she's not getting anything else at all and try the 15 mealtime again. If it doesn't work after a few days and she really isn't eating anything at all, whip her the vets to make sure it's not medical.

11. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

I had the same problem with my fella so started, as others suggested here, picking it up after 10-15 mins. Well it worked a treat, he now clears his bowl regardless of whats in it. His morning meal is just plain JWB biscuits and he most of the time clears the bowl, (sometimes just leaves the odd few nuts but I put that down to him not being very hungry), his evening meal I add some mashed up naturediet (and sometimes heat it as a special treat) and he nearly licks a hole through the bowl.

In the beginning he was very very fussy so, like you, I felt sorry for him and didn't want him to go hungry. I started off adding scraps of ham and he would clear the bowl, after a while he would get bored of ham so wouldn't eat it so I would add something new. This went on and on until one day I put down a whole tin of applaws (which was basically just shreded chicken and some veg) and he refused to eat it looking for something nicer. Thats when I started just giving him plain biscuits and picking them up after 10 mins, since then it has worked a treat.

I would sit down with the rest of the family and explain the importance of not giving him any treats and scraps for the moment. When he is reliably eating dog food by all means then you can start giving him the odd treat through his dinner, but until then it is only making him think that if he holds off on the dog food he will get something nicer.
    Scrambled eggs and turkey breasts are fine, I sometimes give my fella some raw egg, rice, natural yoghurt, raw carrots, raw chicken wings or mashed potato, not all at once of course!

I don't know much about purina so can't comment on the quality of the food, I use JWB and find it good for my fella. Other dry food brands to consider would be burns (only tried a sample of it but he liked it), orijen, arden grange, skinners, royal canin (good food but in my opinion a little pricey, there are some equally good brands for cheaper).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice