Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Help with feeding please

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by NFC slave, May 14, 2019.

1. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

my two Norwegian Forest Cats have been a problem to feed ever since they arrived, about 18 months ago. I finally thought I had solved it when they started eating Sheba, not the best of foods I know, but better than nothing. For the past few days they have even turned their noses up at that, and I just don't know what to try next. I don't t think there is a cat food that I've not tried, including raw meat, and am beginning to think that they will never enjoy food. I've been almost tearful over the situation today and don't really think anyone will have a solution but I really am desperate, would a cat starve itself to death deliberately?

2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I’m sorry to hear they are not eating well. If you feed them together you might want to try feeding them apart? I can’t help with food suggestions as I’m not in the Uk hopefully other members might be able to help.

chillminx and NFC slave like this.
  3. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Oh dear :( Sorry to read that @NFC slave (as an aside, which Sheba have you given them, you know that's really the only food that Oscar will reliably eat...his favourite is the Fine Flakes in jelly, he will eat the gravy versions but prefers the jelly). I agree that maybe feeding them apart may help - do they find each other distracting when they are eating? I've tried almost every brand in the high street and a load on Zooplus - but Sheba is my only "friend", so you have my full sympathies. I hope it improves soon.

4. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Hi @NFC slave

I think we've all been there at one time or another! Are they still plaguing you for food and just not interested in the Sheba? I know with my two if they get the fussies then I can take it out of rotation for a few days and they will probably go back to it. Could be a seasonal recipe change or something. They will sometimes eat foods that were off the menu a few months ago as well. The latest thing mine are enjoying is Aldi pate! I mean, they have had every brand under the sun :rolleyes:

Obviously if they are refusing food altogether and not interested have a chat with the vet. Could it be a hairball brewing?

5. NFC slave

It WAS Sheba fine flakes they were on, not bothered if in jelly or gravy. I'm pretty sure they are just playing up as they can still manage to eat treats, and sometimes cat soup. Because they are not yet 2 years old they are not mature and have a good bit of growing to do, so need maximum nourishment. They had a vet check up a few weeks ago and ere fine, and I doubt both would be sickening for something at identical time. I do know that they love dried food, but I don't want them eating dried, and in the time they have been here they surely would have forgotten that they started life on dried. Think I will give it a few more days as no sign of illness, then it will be the vet and her insistence that I buy and try science diet or some other expensive brand that they stock. Thanks for the suggestions

Soozi likes this.
  6. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Mine sometimes decide they don't want a food they used to eat, and I find as was said to wait a bit and reintroduce later.
    Could they be a bit bored with it if the same flavors? How much is in your rotation?

I would try a few others to see if it sparks interest. My guys love the Meowing Head pouches.
    I have noticed if there is a food my nine month old walks away from, if I feed him from my hand he then eats it and eats a full portion. I have done that from time to time giving it bit by by bit.
    I discovered this as he once walked away and I thought, well I know you like this, gave him a little by hand, he gobbled it down and I fed the rest that way.

chillminx and Ali71 like this.
  7. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

@Summercat Milo does this as well..turns his nose up but if I hand feed him like Lord Muck he will eat it up :rolleyes:

Betty6691, chillminx and Summercat like this.
  8. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Can you get a little pepper mill and grind a few sprinkles of the dried they like on top of the wet? Might they eat it then?

NFC slave and Ali71 like this.
  9. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

I crush up thrive treats on Blue’s food to get her to eat.
    I have found with my neutered forests they do not eat anywhere near the amount suggested to eat for their weight and they are not skinny at all even when they were a similar age to yours.

NFC slave likes this.
  10. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat PetForums Senior

Thrive topper is useful for getting them to eat

chillminx likes this.
  11. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

As Mrs F's suggestion but if they are that awkward, I would also mix the ground up dry in with the wet plus a sprinkling on top.

Definitely give hand feeding a go; I always do that if mine are under the weather and off their food.

Hope you crack it

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  12. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I've found adding Lick-e-Lix (the yoghurty one) as a topper will often start Bertie off ! He'll then go on to eat the whole plateful :)
    Catnip flavoured treats used in the same way has the same effect but I try to limit the amount of dry treats he has as he drinks very little water.

AshJack likes this.
  13. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

A sprinkle of Fortiflora often does it for my girl! x

14. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Works with Jessie:) but not Ollie:( and he's the one I got it for:rolleyes:

Soozi likes this.
  15. NFC slave

Mine are both expert at licking the lick e lid off, and can even get it or other treats out of the food if I have mixed it in. I think maybe I need to stop stressing. They will never take anything out of my hand, they are weirdos, good job I love them to bita

lillytheunicorn likes this.
  16. AshJack

AshJack PetForums Junior

Erm.. so I have all varieties (don’t ask, I figured they must get bored of the same thing ..as I would)

They like Whiskas Gravy, Sheba (not the soup), they aren’t fans of the jelly versions.

They LOVE ..Encore (it’s expensive but sometimes I pick it up if there’s a deal on, Sainsburys tend to have it on a deal a lot), lickety-lick thing they like, especially if it’s hot outside. Gourmet Soup, Sheba Soup (the soups were suggestions from members on here when I noticed appetites dwindling due to the heat) and they love them.

Don’t get me started on treats..!!

I tend to mix it up a bit, feed them whiskas in the morning then perhaps one of the others in the afternoon. I swear they sometimes just like to worry us for no reason and it’s only because they are bored of the same thing day in and day out!:)

17. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

How long do you leave the food down for? WIth two or more cats, in my experience, you can't put it down and take it away the moment they don't eat it, as there are always things going on that influence their appetite. Aelfred doesn't like eating with the others, Heimdall likes to pick all day, and Bugsy will hoover anything in anybody's dish, regardless of how much he has had or whether they are still eating. As a result we have developed all sorts of strategies - including separating them, feeding them at different heights and with screens, and watching them eat until Aelfred and Heimdall have eaten enough - only once they have left the plate is Bugsy allowed in to clean it. Heimdall also often has sneaky small meals while the other two are in the run.

Also are their teeth and gums ok? And is the body condition score ok or are they losing weight? My own experience (like @lilytheunicorn) is that NFCs don't need as much food as you might think to maintain their weight.

Ali71 likes this.
  18. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Seconded @Jonescat!! I've got a hoover-upper and a total grazer, the microchip feeder has completely changed mealtimes!! Suki the grazer will have a mouthful or two and go for a walk/visit litter tray, then come back and forth till he's satisfied. May be worth a shot @NFC slave?

NFC slave and Jonescat like this.
  19. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Hi and please don’t stress. Also as it warmer the good intake goes down. Any wet is good so don’t worry about it not being this or that brand.

I always add warm water. Put the bowls apart and remember cats pick up on your bring stressed. Iv is a monkey currently as he knows there are tablets in his food and I must give off my anxiety as I am desperate until I know they have been taken.

A hair ball could be brewing too. If you have it try a bit of cheddar cheese . I have also put down a mixed plate of cheese, cream treats, raw and a bit of a can.

Remember a cats tum is that not that big and I certainly overfed my two previously x

NFC slave likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice