Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with Fading puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by pommum, Jul 13, 2009.

1. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

PLease anyone with experience with Hand rearing as my friends 9 day old pom pup has lost 2oz's in just over a day, I have been up to look at her this evening and she is quite listless but still has some fight in her, I have given her a ml of Liquid life Aid diluted of course, and I have shown her how to feed her by syringe to get her through the night, but any extra advice would be a god send at the moment.

take care

Sarah

2. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Aww no, thats awlful...poor litte pup...

3. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

This puppy need's to be kept extra warm if she is to live,
    you have given great advice & done exactly what I would do re the liquid life aid. I am going to give you a phone number via pm to a great hand rearing lady who will hopefully be able to give you all the advice your friend needs just now!

1 person likes this.
  4. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I've crossposted this for you :)

Very Useful Article, hope it helps.......

#4 Nicci, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Oh no poor puppy I home s/he is ok.
    To keep warm i am sure I have heard of people putting the puppy against theyr own skin under there jumper to give body heat?

x

6. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

Oh no! I hope the pup survives!! sending all my love to the lil pup!!:)

7. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

hi sarah

just want to say i hope your friends puppy makes it.

8. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Thats great info

9. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

This method has been used with great success in the USA, let's hope it cotton's on pretty quick over here, thank you for sharing!

10. zeon85

zeon85 PetForums Junior

Best of luck with the little puppy my advice would be similar to those of above however in a scenario like this continue to use natural instincts within to keep the little one alive...

Kindest regards

Zeon

11. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

I will be giving my friend a call this morning to see how she did through the night fingerscrossed all went well. She had the mum and pups to the vets yesterday for a check up and the vet said they all seemed happy and healthy and he didn't seem worried about the the slight weight drop at the time, but to be honest with a pom pup they are very tiny and to loose even an ounce is alot when you only weigh about 9ozs , we put them on a hot water bottle last night and kept them warm and my friedn she would redo the hot water bottle every time she fed the pup the life aid.

thanks for all your help and info I will pass it all on to her.

take care

Sarah

12. wrinkles

wrinkles PetForums Member

Hi, Where is your friend? id be happy to help if i can. my chi bitch has puppies at the moment, and she'd take on an extra one if it would help? she's a fab mommy, she's helped me hand rear my kitten :D

13. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

She is near me here in Telford Shropshire, she has no problem with the mum and milk she has load and the other two pupies are thriving, as was the bitch until yesterday evening, I went round about 9.30pm and the last time she had suckled was at 7pm and she just wasn;t interested in suckiling at all although she was happy to drink the life aid out of the syringe all be it very slowly and only a ml of it as I didn't want to throw to much of it down her to soon, she seemed a little livelier when I left last night at 10.30pm ie: crawling round the bed abit more and have a little gumbl which was very cute to see, as she kept doing alittle elvis impersantion with her lip and making little growly noises, also when she was taking the life adi she was padding me as she would do if she was suckling off mum, she seemed a little dehydrated last night but not to severe so I am hoping that giving her the life aid last night will of helped her pick back up enough to suckle again.
    I will let you all know what is happening with her.

take care

Sarah

14. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

UPDATE:
    I have spoken to my firen this morning, she is waiting for the vet to finish their morning surgary and sh is going to give her a ring back, the pup has made it through the night thank goodness, she said the life aid has been fab and that the pup no longer feels dehydrated and her skin isn't staying up anymore and is bouncing back as it should, she said she has much more life in her this morning and has had a little suckle form mum early this morning and has also dranks a couple ml's of milk from a syringe too, she hasn't lost anymore weight so hopefully we got to her in time, She is going to ring me again later to lt me know what the vet says to do next with her.

take care

Sarah

15. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I had a fading pup and shes absolutely fine now. I took her from mum for two days a fed her with LACTOL. She was very weak and could'nt hold onto teat but she did very well on the formula. After two days she was suckling like hell again. Hope the little one is still ok??

16. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

Thanks Sarah or the update & pm, sound's like you're doing a great job
    between you, keep at it & good luck x

17. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

As I said my vet spoke to our vet her vet is mine too, and she said that me giving her the life aid had saved her and pulled her through, she thinks that the other two pups are pushing her off the milk bar, and that she had possibly missed a coupe of feeds because of this and my friend had just not noticed it, which is easy to do, she said to put her on seperatly to the other two pups, with the life aid inbetween feeds with mum, and if she wishes just to get her back up to size to hand feed her inbetween feeds, which is what she is doing for the rest of today to see how the little dot does.
    My friend is going to ring me again later to let me know how she is doing, so I will let you all know.

take care

Sarah

18. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

Hi Sarah...any more news on this baby xx

19. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

Puppy is doing well she has put over an ounce back on in weight so we are much happier, her mum is keeping a very close eye on her, and is making sure she is getting on the milk bar either before or after the boys are done. Her mum said she is a little fighter and give as good as she gets with the two boy pups, she is back to squirming around and squeaking with good strong lungs.

Thanks for everyones help with this and thanks Crazycrest for pming me.

take care

Sarah

20. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

Fantastic news, i am really pleased...well done to you all this could so
    easily have turned for the worse with such a tiny!
    No problem Sarah...anytime x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice