Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with ear mites in teeny tiny pup

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by weeziewoo, Mar 24, 2011.

1. weeziewoo

weeziewoo PetForums Junior

Hi
    was wondering if anyone had any advice, I am a new mum to the smallest little pup, collected her from rescue at the weekend. And she is beyond adorable- we are so happy! BUT she had very crusty stinky ears, peeooo, so I gave them a little wipe with some cotton pads soaked with water and cider vinegar in case it was a yeast infection yesterday, had a look today and could see a mite moving on the hair..

So does anyone know a way of getting rid of them at home or is it best just to go to the vet? She is soo small and tiny, not had her 2nd vaccs yet, so it would be nice not to start treating her with loads of strong medicine etc

Thank you!

2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Welcome and congrats on your little girl :D

I've heard Thornit is very good although I haven't actually used it. However if her ears are really that bad I'd take her along to the vet just to get her checked out to make sure that there's not more going on than just the mites.

Good luck :)

4. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I've used Thornit too, very impressed.

My Bichon pup came with stinky, gungy ears. At first innoculation vet gave Surolan without even looking in her ears. Poppy hated it. At second innoculation a different vet looked in her ears and said there were no mites. I don't believe there ever were any. I'm convinced it was a build up of wax and the fact that Bichons have hairy ears which need plucking.

The gunk kept kept returning despite using a natural cleaning solution so I bought Thornit on the advice of Poppy's groomer. I just use a eye shadow brush dipped into the powder and brush just inside her ear, never down the ear canal. No problem with Poppy accepting it, she hated the Surolan drops but using the brush is so easy, it must tickle her! Cleared up very quickly and her ears have stayed beautiful.

When I say the groomer the next time she just said "Told ya!" :lol:

I got mine off ebay - very quick to arrive.

5. Flossy11

Flossy11 PetForums Newbie

The vet will be able to prescribe Stronghold which can be used in puppies from 6 weeks of age. This is excellent at killing ear mites (and fleas, roundworms) and usually only requires 1 application on the back of the neck; much more preferable I think to putting ear drops in twice a day. BTW the ear drops kill the ear mites by drowning them; there is no anti-mite product within proprietary ear drops so the problem can recur if not treated for long enough as the eggs can hatch out....

An ear cleaner could be used to get rid of some of the debris at the same time.

6. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Congrats on your new puppy

tbh I'd advise you take her to the vet anyway for a thorough puppy check - in my local vets a first puppy check is free. And the Vet can prescribe some drops for the ears that shouldn't cost too much.

When Charlie had to have drops it was just £6.

7. hairydog

hairydog PetForums Member

THORNIT, would'nt use anything else.

8. Will@GowerVets

Will@GowerVets PetForums Newbie

Thornit looks a bit odd? How does settling itching rid you pet of ear mites?

What is in it?

Any oil based ear drop will drown the mites.

I recomend you go to your vet and get drops or stronghold, treat the cause not the symptom.

Will
    gowervets.co.uk

9. babycham2002

Its mostly an zinc compound i dont know how i works but it does,
    turned mums cc from a red sore gunky crusty mess to completely clear in less than a week

#9 babycham2002, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  10. DirtyGertie

Ingredients: zinc oxide, talc, lodoform, boric

Found this info:

Iodoform powder kills anaerobic bacteria and fungi which flourish in warm, moist, airless places. The zinc oxide and boric acid keep the ear dry, which prevents further infections. In the days before antibiotics, Iodoform was frequently used in human medicine to pack puncture wounds where anaerobic bacteria also grow.

Apparently first developed in 1907 and still very popular today - can't be bad.

If a dog stresses about having ear drops inserted, as mine does, then Thornit is so much easier on both the dog and owner.

babycham2002 likes this.
  11. weeziewoo

Thanks so much for your replies, really appreciate it.

Have read good things about Thornit on this forum so will definitely invest in a bottle for use in the future but still unclear as too whether it would actually kill the mites? Is it better for just clearing the gunk?
    She's a cockerpoo puppy so sounds like I am in for a whole lot of degunking over the years

The rescue vet checks them over but am thinking an additional once over wouldn't go amiss.. especially as she is having a good ol scratch at her neck too..

Thanks for the congrats- we are so thrilled with her.. an absolute poppet

12. DirtyGertie

Thornit does say it's used to treat ear mites.

A cockerpoo will need it's ears plucking I believe. We had a standard poodle many years ago whose ears required regular plucking. It's not something I can do myself, the groomer does it for me so that Poppy can think that she's the nasty person and not me :D. Perhaps get your groomer to do it when you take her.

Got any pics of your pup? We love pics :D.

13. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome :) we need pics :D

14. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes I'm another 'Thornit' fan I'm afraid. Wouldn't be without it. :D Some vets actually sell Thornit so it can't be that bad.

15. hairydog

hairydog PetForums Member

Vets must hate it, cos it's so cheap and it WORKS, would'nt be without it, all my doggy friends use it, and can be used for other things too, so you dont have to drown your dogs ears, just a little sprinkle round the inside of the ear, a gentle rub, repeat for a few days, 1 of those oldie things that really does WORK, my Beardie breeders use it all the time, theve got right hairy ears.:):):):):)

16. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Does it help ear infections too or just mites? Kenzie HATED the drops when she had an infection.

17. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

No if it's an infection you need to see a vet who will more than likely give you antibiotics. It's great for just mild itching and mites though but proper ear infections need a vets consultation.

18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Mites are microscopic so it wouldnt be a mite you saw. I hate the idea of powder down a dogs ears and dont see how it works against mites. I would go to the vet and get the proper stuff for whatever her ear condition is. Do I understand you just got her from a rescue - in which case I would go back there and ask them to treat her.

19. weeziewoo

Hey there. Again thanks for your replies.

I've been trying to upload a picture but it keeps coming up with error. :confused:
    Will give it another go as she will melt your hearts!

I did contact the rescue last week and they sent me a dose of ear cleaner to use. I set to it yesterday and it definitely is mites, when I cleaned out some of the black gunk,it was crawling with tiny white dots that moved. Poor little thing - must have been so itchy.
    I felt it was best to take her to my vet, who's ace, so she could have a bit of a check over...he treated her ears and gave us different drops and also treated her with Advocate. As someone said treating the cause not the symptom

Only thing is, she was just lying on my lap belly up( so cute!) but her stomach was gurgling like mad and it looked like it was writhing, moving and undulating, was like something out of Alien movie!!!! Would this be the advocate treating any worms? Or just gas?!
    Slightly confused as the rescue centre said they had treated her with panaclear already. Any ideas?!

20. babycham2002

Here's hoping she gets better now :thumbup:
    Dunno about the tummy wiggles sorry :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice