Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with dog barking please

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by pizzapie, Aug 16, 2009.

1. pizzapie

pizzapie PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I wonder if anyone can give me any tips/advice about a problem we are having with Bailey (2 year old springer). He loves nothing more than going for a walk but he gets very overexcited. We have been having problems with him barking and grabbing the lead when it is time to go out but now he has started barking and leaping about everywhere if I even stand up! If we have been home from his walk for more than say 45 mins if I stand up or leave the room he barks and leaps about everywhere wanting another walk. He doesn't stop until I sit back down again.
    It is also a problem when we are out on an all day or half day hike with the family. If we stop for a tea break or lunch break on a bench or something he sits and barks until we start walking again.
    Any advice would be great.
    Thank you!
    Nikki x

2. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

my springer x barks when she wants her tea for example - we ignore her and she does get the hint

failing that - water?

as for the jumping up bit with the lead - our old BC did this - and nipped as well - we enforced the sit command and only put her lead on when she sat quietly.....
    treats and lots of praise soon worked...

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

In my opinion, when a dog is "bossing" the owners around it is because the dog has gotton away with it.

My advice would be to re-assert yourself as pack leader and ignore this behaviour. He is manipulating you! :D

4. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I'd disagree with the cause (bossing) but agree with the ignoring.

He's learned to do it because it gets a result - and to him, even the tiniest bit of attention is a result.

Rather than "getting away with it", think of it as "getting a result" :)

Dogs do what works.

5. pizzapie

pizzapie PetForums Newbie

I totally agree with everything you are all saying about how I need to ignore him but how do I do this? If he barks every time we go for a walk I can't not take him. The same with his food, I can't just not give him any. Sorry if I sound a bit dippy but I really don't know what to do. :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice