UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some really bad cramping going on right now. I've taken co-codamol but it hasn't worked. Paracetamol, ibrupofren or nuerofen doesn't work for me either :(

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been in agony all day

G

·
bananas and other food high in potassium will effectively help cramps. Also, as mad as it seems, activity will make the cramps go away so if you get up and move, scrub floors (i find this one to ALWAYS work), or go running the cramps will go away

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I sympathise with you because I used to have really bad period pains and was ill every month with it. I'm not as bad now I'm older and have had children and Ibuprofen seems to work for me so I don't know what to suggest.:sad: Some people say a hot water bottle helps or what about a bit of brandy.

·
Banned
1,654 Posts
Ibuprofen should be the best thing as it stops the contractions at the time of the month.
It stops the cervix contracting which causes period pains.

Ibuprofen is the usual relief in perid pain tablets, so take a 400mg tab as long as u don't have stomach ulcers. xx :)

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bananas and other food high in potassium will effectively help cramps. Also, as mad as it seems, activity will make the cramps go away so if you get up and move, scrub floors (i find this one to ALWAYS work), or go running the cramps will go away
This is just an excuse to get me to clean my house isn't it ;)
Thank you, it's a bit late to be scrubbing floors now but I'll do it tomorrow (may as well lol), I haven't had any energy whatsoever today to do anything.

I sympathise with you because I used to have really bad period pains and was ill every month with it. I'm not as bad now I'm older and have had children and Ibuprofen seems to work for me so I don't know what to suggest.:sad: Some people say a hot water bottle helps or what about a bit of brandy.
I have to remember where I put my hot water bottle lol. I've been in my house for 7 months and I still haven't fully unpacked!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Cures and preventatives, although not entirely sure you have anything listed readily available, good for future reference though :) xx

• Clary Sage - Cure.
Use this instead of painkillers!

Clary sage essential oil, this is something you can find in any speciality store that sells essential oils. It naturally supports estrogen production and acting on the pituitary gland helps to regulate menstrual disorders and is useful during menopause, so it is good for PMS, menstrual pain, regulating menstruation, and well also sooth swollen breasts.
Usually when used for painful periods you use the essential oil of clary sage applied neat to your abdomen and gently massaged in, if it's too strong for you neat, dilute it a little bit with some vegetable oil

• Cell-salts - pevention and cure.

Cell-salts are a natural mineral that your body needs for basic functioning, if you are lacking in these then this can affect all sorts of things in your body, you can take these daily to help prevent menstrual cramps all together or you can take them when you get cramps upping the does every 5-10 minutes until the pain goes away. Wikipedia explains cell salts Biochemic cell salts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Herbal teas - prevention and cure.

Herbal methods have been used for a very long time and are still popular, as well as dealing with menstrual pains they can also be used for other menstrual problem such as PMS, reducing menstrual flow, inducing your periods, reducing bloating and regulating your menstrual cycle, most herbs used for menstrual problems can help with general menstrual health that will in turn also help your menstrual cramps.
Most of these can be bought in tea-bag form from health stores and supermarkets, some stores also stock 'women's blends' that are good for all around women's health, although fresh is best it can sometimes mean having to check how to best prepare the herb, it should also be noted that herbal teas should never be boiled as this affects the potency of the herb.
You may also want to check to see if you can use herbs if you suffer any health problems or if you are using hormonal birth control.

Herbs to use for menstrual cramps;
- Rasberry leaf
- Yarrow
- Lemon balm
- Black Haw
- Blessed thistle
- Camomile
- Wild marjoram
- Red raspberry
- Wild strawberry
- Valerian
- Blue cohosh
- Dong quai

Another herbal treatment which is very much recomended would be evening primrose oil, most health stores and supermarkets stock this as it is a good all-round women's health suppliment. Evening primrose oil helps to regulate hormones meaning that it can help to prevent menstrual cramps as well as other menstrual problems such as PMS

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dark chocolate. The cocoa has happy hormones in which help reduce the pain, plus Chocolate :D

I had the worst cramps yesterday I've ever had and I found that a really hot water bottle helped a lot and getting my OH to rub my tummy from time to time :)

Hope this helps!

Peace
Akai-Chan
I don't like dark chocolate but mmmm got some galaxy in the cupboard!! :D The OH is rubbing my back for me as we speak and often rubs my belly for me :eek:

Ibuprofen should be the best thing as it stops the contractions at the time of the month.
It stops the cervix contracting which causes period pains.

Ibuprofen is the usual relief in perid pain tablets, so take a 400mg tab as long as u don't have stomach ulcers. xx :)
I don't know why it doesn't work for me, it just makes no difference whatsoever :(

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cures and preventatives, although not entirely sure you have anything listed readily available, good for future reference though :) xx

• Clary Sage - Cure.
Use this instead of painkillers!

Clary sage essential oil, this is something you can find in any speciality store that sells essential oils. It naturally supports estrogen production and acting on the pituitary gland helps to regulate menstrual disorders and is useful during menopause, so it is good for PMS, menstrual pain, regulating menstruation, and well also sooth swollen breasts.
Usually when used for painful periods you use the essential oil of clary sage applied neat to your abdomen and gently massaged in, if it's too strong for you neat, dilute it a little bit with some vegetable oil

• Cell-salts - pevention and cure.

Cell-salts are a natural mineral that your body needs for basic functioning, if you are lacking in these then this can affect all sorts of things in your body, you can take these daily to help prevent menstrual cramps all together or you can take them when you get cramps upping the does every 5-10 minutes until the pain goes away. Wikipedia explains cell salts Biochemic cell salts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Herbal teas - prevention and cure.

Herbal methods have been used for a very long time and are still popular, as well as dealing with menstrual pains they can also be used for other menstrual problem such as PMS, reducing menstrual flow, inducing your periods, reducing bloating and regulating your menstrual cycle, most herbs used for menstrual problems can help with general menstrual health that will in turn also help your menstrual cramps.
Most of these can be bought in tea-bag form from health stores and supermarkets, some stores also stock 'women's blends' that are good for all around women's health, although fresh is best it can sometimes mean having to check how to best prepare the herb, it should also be noted that herbal teas should never be boiled as this affects the potency of the herb.
You may also want to check to see if you can use herbs if you suffer any health problems or if you are using hormonal birth control.

Herbs to use for menstrual cramps;
- Rasberry leaf
- Yarrow
- Lemon balm
- Black Haw
- Blessed thistle
- Camomile
- Wild marjoram
- Red raspberry
- Wild strawberry
- Valerian
- Blue cohosh
- Dong quai

Another herbal treatment which is very much recomended would be evening primrose oil, most health stores and supermarkets stock this as it is a good all-round women's health suppliment. Evening primrose oil helps to regulate hormones meaning that it can help to prevent menstrual cramps as well as other menstrual problems such as PMS
You're a star, thank you hun xx
I think I've got some evening primrose oil somewhere, my mother gives me these things for no apparent reason lol

·
Banned
1,654 Posts
I don't like dark chocolate but mmmm got some galaxy in the cupboard!! :D The OH is rubbing my back for me as we speak and often rubs my belly for me :eek:

I don't know why it doesn't work for me, it just makes no difference whatsoever :(
I take 800mg when at my most painful...but I wouldn't want to tell you to do that as everyone is different.

I have AWFUL cramps each month, but I swim 3 times a wk so that helps me.

Do u do any excercise? It really does help! xx :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have some really bad cramping going on right now. I've taken co-codamol but it hasn't worked. Paracetamol, ibrupofren or nuerofen doesn't work for me either :(

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been in agony all day
I think you should go see your doc hun, those are pretty strong tablets those co-codamol, they make me go to sleep! Maybe he can prescribe something better.

G

·
I think you should go see your doc hun, those are pretty strong tablets those co-codamol, they make me go to sleep! Maybe he can prescribe something better.
co-codamol make me feel sick i had them when i had bad gallstones they didnt do anything for the pain

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
I went to the chemist to get some feminax last week, it's supposed to be really good.. But they didn't have any! :(
I'm going to go in and buy my ovulation test, some pregnancy tests, some feminax, a hot water bottle and tampons. Then I will be ready for whatever mother nature flings at me this month! :D

I will also prob get a funny look..

x

·
Banned
1,654 Posts
If you take co-codamol too often, they can cause constipation. :yikes:

There are some commercial womens relief tablets such as feminax, have you tried those Sequeena?
It's Ibuprofen too so if tha doesn't work, Feminax is pointless.

U should get a check up....u said u had a letter anyway didn't u?
A check is good, altho they won't do it until afte ur period.

Hot water bottle tonight...and rubbing your back ( from OH) is often better than rubbing your tum. xx :)

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
he will be asking you to rub something for him next lol
Yeah, his arms! :laugh: He's been training a lot lately and all his arm muscles were knotted so Nurse Sarah had to take care of him :rolleyes:

I take 800mg when at my most painful...but I wouldn't want to tell you to do that as everyone is different.

I have AWFUL cramps each month, but I swim 3 times a wk so that helps me.

Do u do any excercise? It really does help! xx :)
Yeah, I'm always out and about with the dogs and I do a little bit of yoga x

The co-codamol is for my arthritis, they're okay for that but for everything else it's useless :rolleyes:

I went to the chemist to get some feminax last week, it's supposed to be really good.. But they didn't have any! :(
I'm going to go in and buy my ovulation test, some pregnancy tests, some feminax, a hot water bottle and tampons. Then I will be ready for whatever mother nature flings at me this month! :D

I will also prob get a funny look..

x
Lmao, better to be well prepared!!

If you take co-codamol too often, they can cause constipation. :yikes:

There are some commercial womens relief tablets such as feminax, have you tried those Sequeena?
I take co-codamol everyday no wonder I have problems sometimes :laugh:

I've heard of it, is it good?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.