Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with collie behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sweetcheeks, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Sweetcheeks

Sweetcheeks PetForums Junior

Hi I wonder if someone could please give me some advice and guidance ...

I have a 10 month old border collie, he is such a gentle dog. He loves walking for ages and I let him off his lead when we get onto a field so we can play with his ball. He used to love other dogs and just wanted to play and be friends.

Not so long ago he was chased by an old english sheepdog and ever since then he has started barking and growling at other dogs who come near him when we are walking so I have to keep him on his lead if near other dogs.
    He has snapped at another dog who came to sniff him but luckily didnt get it. I'm so embarrassed when we are out if he growls/barks at other dogs as I feel like I have done something wrong when training.

I would love to be able to go out and not have to worry about putting his lead back on if we see another dog and I would like to be able to have another dog in the future but I am worried how he will get along.

If anyone has any advice or tips I would be more than grateful

Thanks

2. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Do you go to training classes? He needs to mix with friendly dogs in a controlled way so he regains his confidence. If you don't already go, I'd recommend it :)

3. Sweetcheeks

Sweetcheeks PetForums Junior

No we don't go. I think he has a complex about other dogs since he was chased. Do you think he could get better with time?

4. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Maybe. Maybe not. If I were you I'd be checking out training classes in your area and having a chat with the trainer. A knowledgeable trainer, a few sessions with friendly dogs and you'd probably see a huge improvement :)

5. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

being chased has made him anxious about being round other dogs ... also you need to relax , he can probably feel your tension through the lead

I totally agree about training classes , have a word with the trainer beforehand to explain , otherwise all they'll see when you go in with your dog is what appears to be an aggressive animal , which he isnt , he's just scared

6. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

Do you have any friends with calm friendly dogs? It might help him to go for a walk with a calm dog. When I was asked to look after a friend's terrier that had been starting to act agressively towards other dogs, the first thing I did was take them for a walk together, and it really helped start to make them feel part of the same pack. If the only times he interacts with other dogs is when there's a head-to-head confrontation, he won't learn any different.

1 person likes this.
  7. rona

rona Guest

My thoughts exactly.
    You will have to do it soon though, once collies have something in their head, it's a devils own job to shift :(

8. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Absolutely you can make it better.

If you were to have her off the lead, what would her reaction be?

When you put a nervous dog on a lead and you make them confront their fear, you take away their option to run away. Therefore they feel their only option is either to submit (not likely in a nervous dog) or fight. Which is what is happening.

I would either let her off the lead or stay away from other dogs. If you do not nip this in the bud, you can quite easily make this a lot worse.

One of my rescue's is a collie x. She is very nervous of other dogs (although she has never been ok with them) but if I put her on a lead and walk past another dog she either shuts down and will not move or she will lunge and bark.

Do not feel embarrased, plenty of people have problems with their dogs. I would take the plunge and let her off x

9. rona

rona Guest

I don't understand the advice to stay away from other dogs :confused:
    This dog had been ok until traumatized by another dog.
    Surely it needs to get it's confidence back ASAP.
    This is a very young dog we are talking about here

10. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

If the OP does not deal with it correctly, then the behaviour can get even worse. By staying away from other dogs, I mean that she should not be walking past them at the moment, until she has this behaviour under control. The OP's fears will transfer down the lead to the dog and it will intensify the reaction. In my opinion phobias start when the handler does not know how to deal with it.

Maybe I haven;t made myself clear. My advice would be:

* Try to avoid other dogs until you know how to deal with this, with advice from a behaviouist.
    * Let the dog off the lead and allow him to regain his confidence, by being able to approach other dogs under his own steam. Putting a lead on the dog and causing it to react like this, will make it worse.

As somebody else suggested, if the OP has any balanced dogs to walk with, then this is ideal.

Does that make sense? :)

11. rona

rona Guest

:thumbup::thumbup:

12. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Dog's don't live in the past... people do.

If you are feeling any kind of tension, stress or nerves when other dogs are around ... he will sense your anxieties, that is most likely the reason your dog is being the way he is.

goodvic2 likes this.
  13. rona

rona Guest

No but dogs do react and learn from experiences :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice