Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with change in Cat behaviour

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Katep99, Oct 13, 2021 at 8:17 PM.

1. Katep99

Katep99 PetForums Newbie

Hi about 4 years ago we took in 2 rescue cats brother and sister 2 years in and the male cat passed away leaving us with one while she was not very trusting over time we have built a bond and now she trusts us but there are still issues with loud noises and stuff that scare her

anyway my worry is Yesterday she was sleeping and woke up a different cat she is shy does not come near us unless we go to her gone and is meowing a ton at certain times and I don’t know it seems low and sad tone and today she has taken to hiding under the bed and always seems to be on alert

nothing has changed in her routine there is a male cat that comes to are house but we keep her in the house so they never meet up and no one visited so one could have done anything to her

as anyone got any ideas on why she has suddenly changed her whole demeaner I know its a long shot but the next move is taking her to the vets

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

How old is she? If she is a senior, it could well be worth getting her checked at the vet. It could also be, even though she hasn't actually come face to face with the intruder, she will certainly be aware of his presence which may be upsetting her. I have a very nervous girl and the slightest thing can upset her normal behaviour and she will hide. I would definitely try and deter the cat from coming to your house to start with and perhaps rule out any medical problems with a trip to the vets if you think its necessary.. Sometimes it helps to eliminate what it isn't when you don't know exactly what it is. :)

3. Pinkdon

Pinkdon PetForums Junior

I’m no cat expert but any cat I have ever owned used to hide if in pain, that’s the red flag. I’d take her to the vet, straight away.

buffie likes this.
  4. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

As above id get her checked out at the vet as she may well be in pain somewhere bless her.

buffie likes this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Any unexplained change in behaviour should be checked out by your vet to rule out any problems .

6. Katep99

Katep99 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the answers guys I will try and answer some of hour questions her age we don’t know as I said we kind adopted them from an abusive family who just dumped them one year when we had really bad snow

as I said she awoke in my room from a nap and walked out of my room but even that was not normal then she was just meowing loudly at nothing

will convince my mum about the vets she thinks it’s because of the other cat being around and as are cat is still eating she cannot be sick but will make sure the vet sees her tomorrow

will let you know what happens

ewelsh likes this.
  7. Katep99

Katep99 PetForums Newbie

So went to the vet they gave her a check up could not find anything wrong but they did some other tests that will take time to come back so will not know on them till next week

she still seems withdrawn she is still eating as normal and using her litter try but she is still not the same cat with us

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice