Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with biting

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Karen5090, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Karen5090

Karen5090 PetForums Newbie

My pug is 11 months old he was neutered at 8 months
    He is crate trained but I have problems with him dominating me he bites me i have tried everything but still he continues can anyone help

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Please forget the idea that your dog is trying to dominate you, dogs are like babies they like to test everything with their teeth.

Here are some articles on this subject by qualified, reputable trainers and behaviourists

The Bite Stops Here by Dr Ian Dunbar

http://cleverdogcompany.com/tl_files/factsheets/Puppy biting.pdf

Puppy Play Biting Leads to Marks on Hands and Arms | Animal Behavior and Medicine Blog | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/teachingbiteinhibition.pdf

http://www.apbc.org.uk/system/files...t_1_Puppies_-_Mouthing_and_biting_low_res.pdf

http://www.apdt.co.uk/content/files/training-tips/Playbiting_000.pdf

DVD
    Your Clever Dog: Puppy biting, chewing and over-excitability with children
    Sarah Whitehead

All puppies bite! They come with a set of needlesharp teeth that a shark would be proud of. This behaviour is perfectly normal, but needs to be prevented in order for the dog to become a calm and social member of the family.

This DVD is specially designed to show you exactly what you need to do to reduce and then stop your puppy from biting and mouthing using only kind and fair methods, and the secrets that top dog trainers know.

This DVD also covers the essentials for making sure that your ‘puppy chewing machine flexes his teeth on all the right things, and leaves your shoes, the kids’ toys and your furniture alone.

Sarah Whitehead also gives advice on puppies and children, and how to ensure they grow up happily together.

Including:
    • Why biting is an integral part of your puppy’s development
    • How to control your puppy’s biting
    • How to keep kids safe with your puppy
    • How to play with your puppy to help control biting
    The pack contains: A clicker, tab handle, training manual, instructional DVD, 55 mins approx running time including Bonus trick, Bonus Training Session, Intro to Clicker Training, Q & A with Sarah

Dogtrain.co.uk

lostbear likes this.
  3. Prowl

Prowl Guest

You have to ask yourself why he is bitting?

Under what circomstances? (what were you doing with him at the time he bit you?))

As mentioned dogs bite to test things out its how they learn about things.

When their puppies they can bite quite hard but not really mean it.

Snapping/bitting can mean you have done something to upset him so have to look at your handling skills.

Is this your first dog?

4. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Did he bite a lot as a young puppy as that's normal - what did you do back then?

What things have you tried?

How is his obedience in general?

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

We really need more information. Like what situations he's biting in and what exactly you've tried. We can't really help without knowing what's happening :)

6. Karen5090

Hi it's usually when I sit down on the sofa to watch tv

7. Karen5090

He always bit as a young puppy which I expected he bites no one else just me
    I have tried ignoring him holding him down to submit

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I think I would bite you, if you did that to me!

9. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

He wants you to play with him. As others have said, all puppies bite and he will need to stop, but he is trying to get you to have a bit of fun with him. If he nips, give a really loud, high pitched squeal - he'll know to stop. This is how all puppies learn bite inhibition. ANd don't tumble him over and hold him down to try to dominate him - it is threatening in the extreme to a baby. Perhaps get a tug toy to play with him, or roll a ball, or do a few minutes of training (with treats). After he has played for a while, put him out for a wee and he will probably settle to have a sleep.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice