Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with beddlington whippet

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kaz/beddywhipp, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Kaz/beddywhipp

Kaz/beddywhipp PetForums Newbie

Hi I’m new to the forum and looking for advice on my 1 year old bedlington whippet please. He had a tummy bug at 6 months old had antibiotics and then a few days later he was in pain with his tummy so I took him back & on the X-ray the vet saw a pocket of gas in bowel, the vet opened him up and there was nothing but wind.
    Since then about once a week/ two weeks he keeps getting very bad pains, won’t eat, won’t drink and is moping about crying out in pain. It lasts a few hours and then he’s ok again until the next episode. He’s not sick and has no runny poo’s. It seems to happen on the morning after he may have had something to eat he doesn’t usually have such as liver, broccoli or another animals poo!!
    I’ve spoken to vet on phone a couple of times and I am going to return with him for another appointment. I just wondered if anyone else has come across this and what they did about it. Thank you everyone. All advice appreciated.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Do you hear a gurgling noise when he's unwell?

Kaz/beddywhipp likes this.
  3. Kaz/beddywhipp

Hi, Yes we do it’s quite loud, no bloating.

4. Kaz/beddywhipp

Yes we do it’s quite loud, there’s no bloating.

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If you're hearing gurgling, then it's more likely to be his bowel, rather than his stomach.

My Jack Russell bitch has inflammatory bowel disease and she has to be on a strict diet, or she suffers bouts of real pain, during which she won't eat or move.

You mention liver in your post and one of Rosie's worst triggers is liver. Also heart, rawhide and lamb.

I would try chicken for your boy to begin with. Rosie can eat chicken and beef with no problems.

It's about trial and error and learning what your dog can tolerate.

6. Kaz/beddywhipp

Thank you, awe I hope your dog is doing well now, sounds like you have it under control now. Did she have problems every day or was it more infrequent? Also do you feed her on a dry food, if so which one?

He too can tolerate chicken but seems to struggle on rich foods. Before the bug he could eat anything. It’s awful watching them in such pain isn’t it. I feel so bad for him. thank you again!

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Rosie did not have problems every day, only when she had eaten something that triggered an episode with her.

She too was around a year old when it began.

I found, through trial and error, what she could and could not tolerate, food wise.

She does have to take a low dose of steroid every day now, but it has been three years since she had a bout of the pain.

Do look at the original Chappie dog food. It's fish based and can be excellent for dogs with bowel problems.

Yes, it's very distressing seeing them suffer. I do believe diet is the key.

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

This is interesting @Rafa im having a similar problem with Loki and a loud tummy in the mornings.

9. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

One of my Boxers had episodes like this but he had blood in his stools as well. Would last a day and then go away until the next time. Took him to the vet who treated for an upset stomach. No change in food and he was a kennel dog so no chance of titbits or stealing food. We never got o the bottom of it. Mind you that was about 30 years ago. In between he was fine

Boxer123 likes this.
  10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

No blood in poo for us but it is driving me slowly crazy trying to figure it out.

11. Kaz/beddywhipp

Thank you for all this info, its great and it’s funny you said original Chappie because I did try him on 1 tin spread over 3 meals and he was fine.
    I have chosen a fish based dry food today for sensitive tummies so will give this a try and also diary all he eats. (Ava pets at home)
    He steals food and eats rabbit poo so it maybe tricky to monitor him and stop him eating the wrong thing totally.
    Did your dog Rosie have a blood test? How do vets confirm inflammatory bowel?
    I feel so much better after talking to you thanks again. Fingers crossed I can get him more settled as when he gets it he’s really miserable....poor thing.

12. Kaz/beddywhipp

Hi yes my dog also had blood in his poo when this all started 6mknths old but he hasn’t since, they said he had tummy bug and treat him for that....he hasn’t been the same since.

13. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Chappie is good stuff.

14. Kaz/beddywhipp

Hi I hope you get some answers too, my dog is worst in mornings as well and it lasts until tea time ish, It’s seems it’s whatever he’s eaten the day before is causing it.

15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Rosie didn't have a blood test. My Vet was very experienced and diagnosed her from her symptoms.

Something such as the rabbit poop could easily be a trigger. I know Rosie has had some real flare ups when she's scavenged something whilst out on a walk.

I'm afraid you just have to be really vigilant.

If I were you, I would choose one food and stick to it. If you swap and change, you won't really know what triggers an attack.

Similarly, start by giving your boy one type of treat. This way, you can identify what causes the problem.

Rosie, at her worst, would have three or even four bad days a week. It was terrible for her. It's now several years since she had an attack.

16. Kaz/beddywhipp

Yes thank you I will do that, I’ll stick to this food and the one lot of treats I have and see where we end up.
    Glad your dog is good now, hopefully jax will be one day too, just need to keep a diary and settle on one food and eliminate trigger foods.
    Thanks for all your advice I really appreciate it.

17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You're very welcome.

Would like to hear how he progresses from here.

18. Kaz/beddywhipp

Hi he’s woken up this morning poorly again, also had water, blood and mucus in his stools....very loose, been lots of times. I’m upset he’s in so much pain, I’ve rang vets and they can’t see him today, have asked me to call first thing in the morning to get him seen. If he gets worse I will call them again.
    I’ll keep you updated as to how he gets on at vets. Thanks.

19. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Oh poor boy I hope you get some answers.

20. Dog-dogs

Dog-dogs PetForums Member

Sorry to read about your tummy problems @Kaz/beddywhipp Jasper our 2 year old gets a gurgling rear end approximately every 2 weeks. Am currently going through an elimination diet trying to identify the trigger. Fortunately he gets it very mild compared to your poor dog :( Normal poo + wee and no sickness, but he won't eat and looks in pain on the mornings his stomach gurgles.

What food+/ treats are you currently feeding him?

There's also a few links, which include videos, you may find useful:

My Pet Nutritionist https://www.mypetnutritionist.com/our-products
    https://www.facebook.com/mypetnutritionist/videos/?ref=page_internal [There's a video on IBS/IBD in dogs]

Dr Nick Thompson (aka The Gut Doctor) https://holisticvet.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/Holisticvet.Ltd/videos/?ref=page_internal

Hope he is feeling better since this mornings episode; he does look absolutely beautiful, I do have a soft spot for fawn coloured whippets :Shamefullyembarrased

Kaz/beddywhipp likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice