Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with barking at dad

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JenniC98, Aug 1, 2019.

1. JenniC98

JenniC98 PetForums Newbie

Hi there, new here but wondering if anyone has any advice.

My 8 month old rescue is constantly barking at my dad, she also sometimes runs from him and won't seem to eat if he is where her food is.

She's taken treats from him and he has stroked her. She'll stay in the room with him if me or mum is there.

She also doesn't always bark but we can't seem to find a pattern to when she does.

Any advice?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

As you may not know her background, it sounds like for some reason your dad makes her anxious.

For now I would suggest he totally ignores her. Completely. Not even eye contact, as that can be a little intimidating.

Also make sure she has a safe place to go to, where she is never disturbed, so she can retreat to there if she wants.

If she ever approaches your dad (and she might not) he should continue to ignore her but drop something like roast chicken or frankfurter sausage. Or, if she doesn't initiate contact he could quietly pass her safe place and drop treats.

The main thing is to take things at her pace.

If you get past these stages, she may become more confident with your father.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice