Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with an over excited dog!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by AdamM, Nov 13, 2012.

1. AdamM

AdamM PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I have a Jack Russell cross who is just over a year old. She's a lovely dog who is very friendly and playful. However, we are experiencing a problem when out walking her.

When she sees another dog (for example on the other side of the street), she gets very excited and will start pulling on the lead, barking and making lots of embarrassing yelping noises. These all stop once she gets close enough to sniff and "say hello". There is no hint of aggression or fear from her, it all seems to stem from sheer excitement. She just seems desperate to interact.

I have read alot about methods to stop her from doing this, but it seems that nothing has worked so far.

Does anyone have any good ideas?

2. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

I think you need to get her more focused on you and take the attention away from other dogs. If she is pulling, mis behaving then she shouldnt be allowed to approach the other dogs as this will be seen as rewarding the behaviour.

You need to asess the situation and work out the point when she starts to react, so the distance etc. I would use a whistle to start with in the house, whistle treat and repeat numerous times. Then use it in the garden, and radomly do it around the house and she should be looking to you.Once you have worked at this i would blow the whistle use a command word such as focus. You can also get her attention and then get her to do another command such as sit, paw etc to distract.

When you see a dog, do this and make sure you get her full attention, she should be listening to you and not reacting to the dog. Praise and treat when its going good, any reacting then ignore and walk on or turn around. Do not let her approach dogs when she is giving a behaviour you do not want.

Also try and find some friendly dogs who are calm, you can then work on getting her to understand manners and how to approach dogs and behave.

3. alison11

alison11 PetForums Member

Totally agree with GermanShepardOwner, I use watch me and make him sit when other dogs approach. Sometimes I find its easier if his back is to the other dog otherwise he can lose focus. Finding the distance that your dog won't react can be difficult especially when you are passing on a pavement or a path and can't move too far away. We practice watch me lots in the house and just when people without dogs are passing which helps too.

What doesn't help is other dog owners letting their dogs come bounding up to us while we're doing this, happened twice on our walk earlier :mad:

4. tanglewood3

tanglewood3 PetForums Member

Look on my post under the theard 'To all those with dogs who lack attention, or are obsessed with other dogs'. You must get her to learn that pulling means she will not get to the other dog and you must get her more into you.
    I tell my puppy owners that dogs who lunge towards other dogs, whether being friendly or aggressive are a menace towards other dogs. Imagine him (and others-because it is a common problem) doing it to an assistance dog. In an extreme case it could cause that dog to be retired - it could make him frightened of other dogs or make him snap at other dogs in self defence.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice