Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with aggressive issues

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by GemBeagle, Nov 14, 2012.

1. GemBeagle

GemBeagle PetForums Newbie

Hello I'm new here and just need some advice with some behaviour issues with my 4 year old beagle!

She is often fine with other dogs and tends to ignore them. We have only had one incident where she ran towards a doberman to warn it off. But today she got into a bit of a fight with a German Shepard who was on the lead. Im not 100% sure how it started but she was barking at it and the other owner started hitting her with the lead and my dog ended up with a wound on her neck. The owner said her GSD had nervous aggression so Im not sure if my dog sensed that but I dont know if that would trigger a fight? Im now worried she will be weary of all GSD's and have to try and avoid them!

We also have a French Bulldog who has fear aggression who is always kept on the lead, however, the beagle tends to protect him and I fear she may be getting stressed because of his issues. Would his issues impact her and how she behaves if so how? We have worked with a number of trainers and they havent been able to change the frenchies issues!

I would be greatful for any advice!

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

If you walk your dogs together and you have a nervous dog then it is very probable that the other dog will protect.

I have an unstable pack, made worse because one is nervous and the other has no social skills.

I do not walk them where we might see other dogs. I.e I stay away from parks or busy off lead areas. They are not comfortable so I don't put them through it. Sounds as if your Frenchie would also not rather be in that position

Sometimes it is easier to accept their limitations rather than push or try to change them

I accept my dogs issues and work around them :)

This website maybe of use Dogs In Need Of Space

3. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

If the GSD was on lead then your dog shouldnt have gone up to it, as most dogs on lead are on it for a reason. Therefore the GSD wasnt in the wrong and was most likely scared, your dog may have seen its body language and therefore reacted the way it did. Dogs dont go on breeds etc, she should be fine with other GSD'S if they are displaying the correct body language etc. Dogs go by body language and other communication methods, it depends on the dog. Make sure your dog doesnt go up to any other dog which is on lead, also if you dont have a good understanding in body language then you will not know what the other dog is like and whether it is displaying fearful/anxious body language etc.

Walking the two dogs together will have an impact on the other dog, they will feed off eachothers body laguage and other senses. She wont neccessarily be protecting him, his issues may be making her nervous and feeel their is something to be fearful off.

4. GemBeagle

GemBeagle PetForums Newbie

Thankyou for both your replies.

Yeah I tried to call her away but she just ran at it, I know it was completely her own fault. Im going to walk her alone from now on so she's not stressed from the french bulldogs issues and try to get her to be more comfortable and socialable with other dogs!

5. catdogg

catdogg PetForums Newbie

At first, my dog was also aggressive. But after looking through some reviews (Veterinary and vet services review and complaints) I found a lot of interesting tips. I started controlling my pet, training it and sometimes we even went to a professional trainer. I think you should also try that.

6. tiamaria1

tiamaria1 PetForums Newbie

I have a 8 month old Border collie who doesn't like other dogs. He lives with other dogs with no problem. When out he ok till he sees other dogs where he lunges but not yet made contact with any dogs, I always have to be on my guard, taken him dog training sometimes he really good other times a right hand full. Any tips would be great x

7. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Hi , have you thought of putting a muzzle on your dog maybe this would make him feel more secure around other dogs also it would save another dog incase your dog did attack another dog.

8. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

I don't really think muzzles make dogs feel any more (or any less) secure. The ones that I know that wear them just regard them with about as much interest as they take in their collars.

If your dog is going up to on-lead dogs I'd suggest teaching a solid recall and keeping it on-lead or a long line until it recalls well. One day it will race up to the wrong dog and get hurt.

There is plenty of information on here about training a recall.

A dog that lunges at other dogs needs to be taught to walk at heel as well as "watch" and "leave".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice