Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Help with a retired greyhound!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Amuseboots, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Amuseboots

Amuseboots PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

We've just adopted a 5 year old retired racer greyhound called Romeo five days ago. He's doing very well with stairs, toileting and food manners but really really struggling with getting him in my five door car. We have been trying everyday for the past three days with all sorts - toys, high value treats like chicken/ sausage but he just does not want to jump in freely. I've tried opening all the doors so it doesn't feel small and ive got a comfortable duvet all padded out for him. Ive tried getting there myself and coaxing in.

We managed to get him to jump in really easily when we first bought him a squeaky toy but he wanted to get straight back out. Now the toy won't work either. Could it be the height? Has anyone got any tips? Would really appreciate any advice as ideally i wanted to bring him to work! I was thinking a ramp might help it be easier to get him in but they are so expensive i don't want to stress him out by lifting him in (also pretty heavy).

Thanks
    Amy

2. HexyPatch

HexyPatch PetForums Newbie

Hi Amy,

Is the access to your boot flat or does it have a lip?

My greyhound is more than happy to jump in to my husbands car as its flat but struggles with mine. Once in my husbands we put one of the back seats down so she can get on the passenger seats

The one way we have found that makes it slightly easier for her to get in to my car is to pull both front seats as far forward as possible so she does have that flat space. When this doesn't work I do just end up lifting her in.

I hope the seat suggestion helps

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Will he get into the back seat if someone sits inside on the other side?

4. Amuseboots

He won't hop in the side doors or in the boot. Tried going in first and coaxing in. I put all seats down so its a fairly big space for him to jump into and we know he can as he did it with the toy. Tried a little step but doesn't seem to register it. I know it'll take time but im not making much progress so im willing to try everything!

5. Amuseboots

Hello hexy patch
    It has a lip so i genuinely think he diesnt wamt to jump in but i know he can as ive seen him jump in twice when we had the toy but not he wont go in even with that same toy. All the back seats are flattened and covered with a soft duvet so theres plenty of room.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice