Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Help with a nipping pup

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Cloudy Star, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudy Star

Cloudy Star PetForums Newbie

Hi, had our little pup Tess for about a week now and she is settling down really well with us, however, she is really nipping at our feet and legs. It tends to be worse when she is excited for example first thing in the morning when she is full of energy. She is a 9 week old Springer Spaniel.

Has anyone got and advice of techniques to stop her doing this. My feet are gonna get sore otherwise and my trousers will become shorts! :laugh:

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Totally normal puppy behaviour :)

Find something else for her to play with - if she's nipping your trousers stop (chances are SHE'LL stop when you stop moving and therefore become less exciting) and give her something else to play with, maybe a nice soft little tuggy you can both have a game with.

Teach her a "drop it" cue.

Read "The Bite Stops Here" (Google for it) - very useful article.

This is such a common "problem" that I really think there should be some sticky threads on here about it - unless I've missed them?

joelmarks likes this.
  3. nic b

nic b Guest

#3 nic b, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2010
  4. Katie&Cody

Katie&Cody PetForums VIP

I would say, as the others have - normal behavior, but something to work on training her out of...maybe distract her with a toy?

:eek:

5. dohaspecial

dohaspecial PetForums Junior

just to re-inforce what has already been said, i think its completely normal behaviour, deefer has been doing it an awful lot.

I have just started the biting recognition thingy from the 'bite stops here' link. i let him have a little nibble on my hand etc at the moment until he bites a little too hard then do a dramatic 'ooowww that hurt' and walk away, ending his playtime. he is responding very well and generally now he just gums/mauls instead of bites. next stage coming up i think.

i also found that when i started making him sit for everything, food, lead, fuss, cuddles, praise he has become a lot calmer. when he jumps up he gets a NO and generally falls straight into a sit position hoping for some praise!

Lesley Duerden likes this.
  6. Staceybob

Staceybob PetForums Member

My puppy used to do this. Infact almost every puppy you meet will do this at some stage XD (Especially when they're teething!).

And used to pull a really high pitch "OW!" which would distract her because she thought she really was hurting me. Other than that, I used to give her toys as a replacement for my hands lol, though occassionally she'd lean over from the toy to nip me too.

When she used to get really nippy to the point she was actually hurting then I'd tell her NO! and it would startle her a bit into getting down. Then I'd normally make her sit or work for a few titbits to take her mind off nipping.

It took a few weeks to sort out our puppies nipping but we got there in the end.

Stacey xxx

7. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Excellent work! :thumbsup:

8. swaff

swaff PetForums Junior

just to reinforce what everyone else has said, be patient and stick to one method of dealing with it. Our golden retriever has just reached 13 weeks and is now almost cured of it, other than when he gets really wound up.
    it will happen and it wont stop overnight, just don't wear to any expensive trousers round her for a while :)

9. nightingale

nightingale PetForums Member

hi
    I have a welsh Springer spaniel and I got him this weekend and he is 11 weeks old. he is also settling in really well and as you rightly said he is also nipping at my feet toes and also my trousers and especially my silk pyjamas . It is very annoying and it also hurts when he catches the skin.i am also looking for solutions. I keep saying 'no' and i do give him something else to chew on ...but his attention span is so short , he he comes back to my tasty feet ! keep me informed of how you have solved this .
    nightingale 033.jpg

10. louellie

louellie PetForums Newbie

I have gone through all of the biting probs stated above with my gorgeous 18wk old cocker spaniel, in fact it was so bad I too asked for help on here. She has chewed everything she can get her paws on and no amount of toys/kongs/bones/yelling/No's did any good - she would stop for a few seconds then start again. My daughter and I were scratched to pieces.

Apart from this she has been golden - easily toilet trained and no problems ever at night. All I can say is eventually the nipping will stop, maybe not totally,but it will. Tilly still nips occasionally but I must say she has calmed down a little since being able to take her out and release some energy!. :)

Ladywiccana likes this.
  11. emmy_lou73

emmy_lou73 PetForums Newbie

hi

again - having two dogs i can reassure u its perfectly 'normal' behaviour - our tibetian terrier was a nightmare! We tried it all, the distracting him, the shouting, softly softly! The last resort for us when a friend who said try a high pitch 'yelping' like another dog would do. We only had to do it for a few times and the problem ceased.
    Good luck!x

12. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Our pup (14 week old Bouvier Des Flandres) is doing this too, but oddly, only when I am walking around in the morning or night in my Boxer shorts i.e. legs exposed.

The big problem for us is that he is getting bigger and so the bites are getting higher up. It's always as I am walking away from him, and the nip comes from behind on my legs. This morning he reached my bum and it REALLY hurt!

Being male myself, I am slightly nervous of the fact he might start doing it from the front. :cursing:

Night time toilet visits to the garden are the worst, as I get nipped all around the garden unless I throw some trousers on first.

He'll be able to go out in public for the first time on Sunday (waiting for the inoculation immunity to be ready) so I am hoping that he calms down after finally "mixing with other dogs" and getting tired out in the park!

Is this realistic, or should I find a friendly farmer who fancies a free herding dog once a week on a Sunday to satisfy my dogs desire to herd?

1 person likes this.
  13. rona

rona Guest

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

14. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

My little 8 week staffie pup Alfie is exactly the same, especially when he is in full on play mode! I always try to have a toy in hand to divert him. When he starts nipping at feet and hands too much I yelp and ignore him for a few minutes! When he licks nicely he gets heaps of praise. My motto is, ignore bad behaviour and reward good! It is still very early days with Alfie, and if I remember rightly, when my labradors were pups, it takes a few weeks of consistant positive reinforcement, but they do get there in the end. Hope this is of some help...

Jackie :)

15. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I was told by dog trainer to yelp when a dog nips,as this is what its litter mates would do.

16. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

You might find this helpful

Teaching Bite Inhibition

17. cocobwoy

cocobwoy PetForums Junior

Hi

We also have a English Springer, He is biting allot. The more you say no, the more he bites, you give him is toy to bite and he wants us even more!

We stop playing and ignor him for his biting and he tries harder. We have resorted to putting him in his own space and closing the door, he cries a little and gives us the look , but he calms down, then play resumes.

This is only a quick solution tho and soon enough he forgets his naughty behaviour!

Let us know what works for you, we are willing to try anything as the puppy is not learning about naughty behaviour.

Thanks and Good luck :eek:

NannyMarg and Izzybea like this.
  18. FriendlyGinger

FriendlyGinger PetForums Junior

I too am experiencing this! Trouser legs and my feet are Nala's favourites. Been grumbling at her and ignoring her which worked today but I know we'll have to do it all over again tomorrow. Good job I am super patient! Everyone's advice on here has been so useful. I am soooo glad I found this site! You have kept me sane! :)

NannyMarg likes this.
  19. susiejones

susiejones PetForums Newbie

i'm on the verge of getting a pup. little bit worried about it being a little 'nipper' so some good advice here - thanks

20. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

Yep, I can sympathise with you on this one. Our pug puppy has been with us for 3 days and is very nippy at times. We are trying to be consistent and telling her no and distracting her with toys. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice